Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Window woes...

Sorry if my tone was a little on the harsh side.

Creeg, I was complimenting your find for replacement tabs!

I know that all my pictures and descriptions of them, are spread all over in different threads
    I would very much like to put it all together in a manual with step by step instructions and photos.

I would be willing to HELP anyone with any window problem.
    If you are too far away, you could try to search all thread posts by "user" (Mine for one) related to windows or regulators. Just click on their user name

My understanding of the problem was from studing others fixes, then analizing why what they did helped the problems.

Some "before" (stock) and "after" detailed photos would be good. I have the problem with both windows and need to fix them, but I hesitate to start without knowing exactly what I need to do.
    I do not want to turn this into a project that takes days to complete, i.e., driving around with the door panels off.

Unhappy

Hey Guys... me too.
    I would like to start with WHAT lubricant do I use and Where do I lube exactly? I bought some white lithium grease. I am working on this prob right now...
    Last edited by disasterlady : 11/25/2006 at 04:04 PM

I use the 3m brand Silicone spray with the straw nozzle.
    Spray all the rubber, on the inside, in the window path.
    Spray extra by the bottom of the window opening.
    Run the windows up and down a few times, to let the silicone get to the rubber tracks inside the door.
    Wipe any excess on the glass when done.

Smile

Thanks Bulldoggie... I was hoping that you would be on! Since you seem to have the most info and/or experience with this... I'm gonna run down to Autozone right now. You folks are GREAT!!!
    Last edited by disasterlady : 11/25/2006 at 04:23 PM Reason: oops...

I wasn't online, but I get E-mail alerts on threads I've participated on.
    I do try to check the site often, just to see what is going on, and to stay up on any "latest mods"

Unhappy

okay the lubricating isn't helping enough... my tabs are not broke but the window still tilts forward and drags out of the back side track. Before I try any major metal revamping, Is there a need to replace the weather stripping and does anyone know where and how much that costs?

I do not believe replacing the rubber will make any difference.
    Some members have had fixed this problem by removing the door panel and widening the front track (and pushing it forward a bit) to ease the friction / drag.
    The only problem with this fix is you cannot widen the track (or push it forward) at the top 1/3 of the track due to the mirror, where it is welded in place. It might work but will most likely will raise slower near the top.
    Slotting the holes, that hold the lift arm in place, is not major surgery.
    Slotted holes are used all the time for adding adjustability. (Like on Alternator Brackets, for tightening the belt).
    Using a washer and lock washer should remove any fear of having slotted holes.
    Take the time to watch the window raise and lower a few times while the panel is off.
    If you see the arm pull away from the bottom of the glass, add some washers to keep it under the glass, otherwise the tabs will break.

Thanks for replying... I will have to tackle this again on monday. But do you have the instructions on the slot holes somewhere in the thread that I missed?
    I wouldn't know where and how to put them otherwise.... sorry to be such a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by k4tmc
    Some "before" (stock) and "after" detailed photos would be good. I have the problem with both windows and need to fix them, but I hesitate to start without knowing exactly what I need to do.
    I do not want to turn this into a project that takes days to complete, i.e., driving around with the door panels off.
    Slotting the holes and adding washers, taking the panel off and putting it back.
    Only takes about an hour maybe two.
    If you have broken window tabs, it might take longer to mix up some epoxy.
    Don't be afraid to use alot to encapsulate the entire break.
    Leave the window up for a day before trying to lower,(cure time) but you can still put the panel back on.

sorry... was there an attachment or some other link that I was suppose to take? I still don't understand the slotting.

Quote Originally Posted by disasterlady
    Thanks for replying... I will have to tackle this again on monday. But do you have the instructions on the slot holes somewhere in the thread that I missed?
    I wouldn't know where and how to put them otherwise.... sorry to be such a pain.
    Click on my user name to look at the pictures in my gallery. Even more discriptions of the pictures are in the treads. You can look at all treads about windows that I have posted the same way, when you click on a users name you get a pop-up menu. Very handy.

Thumbs up

thanks again... you can tell I am new to the site!

Window Fix?

I bought some Sticky Putty off HSN.COM and it seems to bond to just about anything. It bonds to glass. brick, just about anything. I have the classic drivers door window hangups that most of us have. I will attempt to pull the door panel this weekend and try it. I will let the group know how successful or not this goes.

Question New kid on the block w old & known probs.

So - my newly acquired '99 VX has 'widows woe'. I was told so by seller, so we just discounted some from his price tag, and I have not risked even opening neither of windows so far.

I carefully went through all the thread, yet I have couple of Qs unclear still:

1. where do you apply those washers in order to align the lifting mechanism right below the glass? Any explanatory pics anybody?

2. Have I understood correctly, that moving glass-holding tabs forward ~5mm (~0.2 inches) so that they push glass firmly in the back slider TOGETHER with applying washers mentioned in (1) SHOULD fix the problem once and for good?

Advance thanx on clarifications!

P.S.

Suggestion for tabs creation and fixing: may be one can use stiff rubber used usually in engine pillows or axle stoppers (don't know right eng term for them; I mean bumpers below car to stop shocks and springs being driven too deep into wheel arch. I have four of such on my Discovery and Defender, have not looked beneath VX yet... ), and for gluing use glass-fixing adhesive used by professional guys replacing windows on contemporary cars? Just thinking out loud...