OK, with all this talk about oil consumption, and my recent switch to Mobile 1 synth, I decided to take the VX back to the Jiffy Lube next to my work. As per several recommendations from you guys out there, I changed the oil after my switch to synthetic after only 1500 miles. So, hopefully any gunk that might have been loosened up by the switch to synth is now gone.

Before they even started, I asked the Jiffy Lube guy to look at my dip stick and tell me if my oil level looked low. (I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy when I looked at it yesterday). He immediately said it looks damn near empty and asked me when I got my oil changed last (as if it had been 8 months). I told him I was in for a change less than 1500 miles ago, and he looked at my cross-eyed with surprise.

Apparently my VX ate up so much Mobile 1 5W-30 over the last 3 weeks that my dipstick was almost dry when we checked it today! So yeah, I am slightly freaked out. The grease monkeys at Jiffy Lube filled up my VX with Mobile 1 15W-50 synth. Can anyone tell me if this is ok? I hope this weight is ok to use during the summer months here. If anyone sees a problem with this, please let me know so I can take care of it. 15W-50 is what the tech recommended. When I switched to synth 1500 miles ago, they used 5W-30.

The Jiffy Lube guy also noticed that I had new tires and said that since they are slightly larger, this could contribute to some of the excess oil consumption. Anyone have input on that statement? The new tires I have are only slightly larger than stock, on stock 18" rims. See my page here for a view:

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/vxhome.htm

Also, tonight I will swap out my PCV Valve and report back with any changes.

Slightly alarmed, but maintaining composure,

Bart