Thread: Windshield Wipers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Windshield Wipers

OK, so I want new wipers. Mine squeak and make funny rubbing noises when I use them, even after I Rain-X the windshield. I don't know if I should just get new blades or buy whole new wipers. The arms that hold my blades are a little ratty looking. There is some paint loss and a little rust.

It looks like the left wiper is longer than the right one too. If I just buy blades does this pose an issue?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm relying on memory...
    The wipers are 17" & 22".
    I've used Bosch micro edge blades with good results.
    Removing the wiper arms, sanding off the rust & scuffing the rest of the paint, then repainting is easy to do.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm relying on memory...
    The wipers are 17" & 22".
    I've used Bosch micro edge blades with good results.
    Removing the wiper arms, sanding off the rust & scuffing the rest of the paint, then repainting is easy to do.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Check the "fitment computer" at the local Wal-Mart to be sure of those sizes.

I believe your memory served you well!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I've had great luck with the Rain-X wipers here in moistureland, and the Rain-X wipes. Also, the price is right and available at Wal-Mart.

Velvis
    thankyouthankyouverymuch

I bought blades that were an inch or two longer than the officially recommended sizes and am happy with the extra coverage. Although I do prefer to rainx the windshield and just drive over 40mph (the minimum speed where the water tends to blow off the windshield) whenever possible.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    You can pop the arms off of your wipers (mark their position first) and hit them with a shot of Krylon. It's pretty common for our trucks (imports in general for some reason) to lose the paint in that area.

I did mine a year ago with the same wheel paint that I ended up using on the Nissan rims.

I use Bosch Winter wipers (all year 'round). They have a rubber cover on them that keeps out the ice as well as protects them from trail debris (sticks, trees, spectators). They were still flexible at -50F.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    I just replaced my wiper inserts with OEM replacements (I have sworn off aftermarket insetrs, because they only last 3-4 months compared with 6-9 for OEM), and I have the same issue - on the up-wipe, they are chattering pretty bad, even with a lot of rain on the windshield. I think they will settle in with a little use, but who knows.

I'm a huge fan of Rain-Ex, too ("The faster you go, the better it works!"), but have recently switched to Rain-Ex brand wiper fluid. It's the milky orange stuff, and it works great! Hard to find, though. But basically, it refreshes your Rain-Ex finish whenever you use it. Good stuff!

VehiGAZ, where did you get your OEM wipers? Merlin? I will probably do the paint over on the arms, but I still would like new blades.

Rain-X is awesome, but living in Chicago, I seldom get up to 40mph. It still helps tho.

I really want to move out west. I have been looking for a job in Reno for 5 months now. The job market still kinda sucks there tho...plus, I need to up my skillz.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
    I just replaced my wiper inserts with OEM replacements (I have sworn off aftermarket insetrs, because they only last 3-4 months compared with 6-9 for OEM), and I have the same issue - on the up-wipe, they are chattering pretty bad, even with a lot of rain on the windshield. I think they will settle in with a little use, but who knows.

I'm a huge fan of Rain-Ex, too ("The faster you go, the better it works!"), but have recently switched to Rain-Ex brand wiper fluid. It's the milky orange stuff, and it works great! Hard to find, though. But basically, it refreshes your Rain-Ex finish whenever you use it. Good stuff!

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

PIAA wiper blades worked for me

I installed PIAA silicone wiper blades over 2 years ago.
    And they are JUST barely starting to streak.

They came with a premoistened pad of glass treatment that is very similar to RainX ...

I have not used RainX on my windshield in the 3+ years I've had the truck, and I still get some beading.

I will be ordering a new pair soon.

BTW, how DO you pop off the wiper arms? I have never tried to do that before. One of mine has a bit of rust and I want to take care of it...

Thanks!
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets