Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CV Boot Replacement...or how to save $1600!!!!

Joe Black...Feel free to throw it up on your site.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

thanks for the props...

but, you need to throw in there that the C clip on the inner green axle cup needs to be installed offset from the bearing grovves upon installation or the whole bearing, cage, castle, and c clip assembly will slide right out of the green cup.

Other than that looks great. Glad you finally got it.

I find it just as EZ to have a spare axle ( off roaders). Replace whole axle assy & rebuild original as needed keep as a spare.

I have changed Five (5) Passenger side axles. Zero (0) Driver side.

Really nice work Billy.

Bob F
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Glad to see you still poking in here now and again Bob. Not being much of a wrench, I am learning as things happen. Today I broke a wheel stud off while doing the passenger side CV's (got it down to 2 hours!). So I guess now I'll learn how to take the hub apart....unless someone knows a better way. There is not enough room between the disc and the area that the stud goes in.

Hi Billy, another thing you might want to to consider, is putting the cage and balls back on the bearpaw in the same orientation that you took them off. They develop wear patterns when they are new and changing thepattern results in accelerated wear. Its not a huge deal, but if you can keep the pieces in the same order it is definitely worth the small extra effort.

For those of you that have lifted front suspensions and are going through alot of CV boots, instead of using the supplied band to tighten the small end of the boot, try using a good quality wire tie. If you tighten it up enough to keep the internal workings clean and dry, but still leave it loose enough that it can slide, your CV boots will last ALOT longer. I guess its too little too late for you, but perhaps someone will be able to use it.
    Its the thrill of the chase

Thumbs up

Great job Billy! I just had mine done, and it cost me $350 big ones.

Once again.....you the MAN!

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Talking

Crap. That was easy. Why wasn't that way the first 3 times I tried. So easy anyone with the tool list can do it.

The only problem is the outer boot I got at Pep Boys was loose on the cup- too loose. My neighbor wisked me up the street to Adavanced to get another. Don't forget the big C-clip, i almost did.

Thanks for the help Spazz, the Marines always get the job done!

Jon

Great help

Did my CV Boot replacement this weekend using this post as a great tool.

I figured since one was bad the others couldn't be close behind so I replaced all of them using the Mecatech boots, which came so highly recommended by E-ZooZoo One. I combined their instructions and Triathlete's for the install.

Since the Mecatech's are so elastic I only had to disasemble as far as Post #5 (and my ball bearings didn't fall out...). The outer boot slid over the bearings using the existing grease as lube (an assistant to helps with this one). Then I just used mecatech's cone tool they provide to get the inner boot on. Easy as pie.

First side took 3 hours; the R&D phase is always the longest. But after having done it once, the other side took only an hour. So, if you have done boot replacements before, you could replace all 4 boots in 2 hours!

Thanks for the How-To, Triathlete.
    1999 Lotus VX Ironman Edition
    It's fun to rebadge...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    wow billy thanks for the great writeup, thats gonna help the rest of us out a ton!

Billy (triathlete) you are the man!!!!!

Just got done doing this CV boot replacement on the drivers side today. I completely took my time and checked everything 100 times and it still only took under 3 hours. What a great write up and what a money saver!!!!! I really enjoy getting stuff done..... Thanks Billy this helped so so much, you don't even know. Saved me $400 this holiday season, and the VX is back on the road

Glad to see it has helped so many out!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

I bumped this TTT for the obvious reason of convenient access, since this is my project today.

But also to say Thanks again to Billy, for taking the time to document this procedure.

I don't have nearly enough patience to put the wrenches & rags down, clean up my hands & take a few clicks, once I get up to my elbows in grease, bearings & what have you...

Once again, Billy, I salute You!

Yeah, I remember this thread from a long time ago. I forgot about it entirely. This is very good. I need to find a way to make color print outs of it. I know someday I will end up doing this fix...

Thanks Billy!

Bart

I made a pdf of Billy's 'how2'. It is great having a disposable paper copy outside with you.

I can't figure out how to post it but if you PM me your email, I'll send it.

Better yet, someone PM me some 'posting for dummies' & I'll put it where all can get it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I made a pdf of Billy's 'how2'. It is great having a disposable paper copy outside with you.

I can't figure out how to post it but if you PM me your email, I'll send it.

Better yet, someone PM me some 'posting for dummies' & I'll put it where all can get it.
    Good show, Tom, PM sent. You know, there is probably a way to post it on here in the how-to section.

Bart