Thread: oil change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

oil change

i wa sjust out trying to change my oil.. and cant for the life of me get the oil pan plug loose... anyone else have trouble with it/ what tools did you use to get it loose? looks like i might be headed up to home depot to get a new socket for the air ratchet

Hmm, cant remember what I used, but I dont recall having any major problems, an air ratchet sounds a lil extreme though. Maybe a good breaker bar?
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

i thought an air ratchet was a little much too... but using a 10" adjustable wrench with all the strength i could muster didnt budge it... then my roommate tried too with no luck and hes no stranger to the weight room.. so im not sure... i also sprayed a little WD40 on it jsut to see if that would do anything, but it didnt

hmmm i wonder if im going after the right plug!? i dont see any other plugs down there that are on a corner

It should be fairly obvious what plug to remove. If there is any doubt, you should d/l the shop manual online from Tone Monday's web site.

If you buy anything, I would agree with Ruflyf. A good quality breaker bar is not very expensive and will come in handy time and time again. I would get a 1/2" drive and a socket to fit your oil pan plug (I think it's 22 mm). You'd be surprised what another 4-6" of leverage will do for getting a tough bolt out. BIG difference!
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Leftie loosie, rightie tightie....

Arrow

Put a little heat to it with a hand-held propane torch for about a minute or so, then let it cool and try again. Heating and cooling fasteners is a great way to get them to release as they'll expand and contract at different rates.

Then you need to replace it with a Fumoto Valve so you won't have to use tools anymore for oil changes.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Put a blow torch to your oil pan!?!?!? That's a bit of a radical solution, isn't it?

Put that adjustable wrench away before it does any harm! They suck for most applications, in my book. I prefer to use a box-end hand wrench for sticky nuts and bolts...

I think that's the most secure and reliable wrench for high-torque applications. I've split sockets on stuck bolts before, and broken adjustable wrenches, too. Even a cheapo box wrench will not open up or turn out the corners on a bolt.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Leftie loosie, rightie tightie....
    wat he siad....

thanks for all the replies.. im definately turning it to the left.. not sure why it would be so stuck... oh well, the oil filter was a pita to remove too.. guess the boys at the shop i got it changed at last were worried about leaks
    ill try the suggestions when i get home tonight and hopefully will be full synthetic before bedtime! definately will be installing a fumoto valve as soon as i get the chance

Arrow

A propane torch (not oxy-acetylene!) for about a minute isn't going to harm anything, especially if you apply the end of the flame directly end-on to the drain plug. Be sure to allow it to cool for about five minutes before removing. The heating/cooling cycle is what makes it break free.

A small piezo ignition propane torch is one of the most handy things you can have around the shop!

Oh, if you have a six-point box end wrench or socket use that as it'll grip the bolt face the best and resist rounding of the corners.

Put the closed end wrench on there and pop it with a hammer. Adjustables are bad for anything tight.

I doubt he has a 22mm box end. Just go buy a socket and a ratchet + breaker bar = win. Get a long bar while you're at it and apply pressure slowly. Hopefully you won't shear the bolt.

take the wrench and tap the wrench with a rubber hammer lightly, if that does not work, use a metal hammer and tap it, the fibration should be able to loosen the plug.
    good luck