Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scan Gauge to get out of a ticket?

I think 39 MPH OVER the speed limit is going to be frowned upon in just about any jurisdiction, so any doubt that you can cast on the accuracy of the measurement will help you. In some states, anything over 20 above is considered reckless driving (e.g. WV).

In my non-expert opinion (most of my experience has been in Maryland... about 12-13 tickets in 17 years of driving) you don't have a strong enough case to take it to trial without a lawyer. If you're pretty articulate and don't intimidate easily you probably have a 50/50 chance, depending on the mood of the prosecutor, judge and jury (if applicable), but you've got to decide whether it's worth the risk of paying the full fine and points should you be found guilty. If it were me, and I was convinced that I was without a doubt doing less than 90, I would most certainly take it to trial. But that's me, and I've been to court enough to know how to present myself and what to expect.

If you don't have a lot of personal experience in the courtroom, you're probably better off hoping for a break or a plea bargain. Go to court; look for the cop; if he's not there, plead innocent and be on your way (there's your break). Otherwise, plead guilty and ask for a reduced charge.

One thing you should be clear on is whether your insurance company uses points to determine your rates. MINE (USAA) DOES NOT. Mine uses your conviction against its own point system, so regardless of whether your DRIVING RECORD has 0 points or 10 points, your rates do not change. Driving record points only come into play when they decide whether to suspend or revoke your driver's license. My insurance rates fluctuate based on number and type of convictions and accidents during a 3 year window. So in my case, I'm more concerned with the conviction (i.e. 0-9 over, 10-19 over, etc.).
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

You'd probably need to go to a speedo shop and get a certified test done - I've done that several times in the past. As for the ScanGauge accuracy, you must go into setup and specify the parameters such as engine size and most importantly tire size (via percentage from stock) - if you have gone from stock tires to say 31" tall, error is about a +9% difference that you can enter.

I was caught going 109MPH on New Year's day a few year's back and other than the 2 State Troopers approaching the VX with the gun's drawn, it was just a $250 ticket. Glad they only clocked me @ 109....

I don't know if it works in MD, but in WA, I think if you agree to a defense driving class or something, you can have the ticket reduced. Of course, it needs to be your first ticket. I didn't read all of the threads, maybe someone has also mentioned that.

Sorry, I meant PA, not MD. Guess I got excited too about MD and how they deal with it.

Speeding

Were you stopped by local or state law inforcement? How did they clock your speed? What kind of road were you driving on when it happened? What time of day?

The answers to these questions will determine your course of action.

Howard

i was on I95, not sure when he clocked me but he pulled me over on the exit ramp, local cop i think, used a radar gun around noon

Speeding

Where you pulled over in Philly? If so take it to court. There is a good chance the officer will not show. (They dismiss the charges). Ask to see when the unit was last calibrated. Ask to see when the officer was rated to use the radar unit. Did he have proper training? If he had no training???? Were you on the highway alone? Were there other cars around you? Did he pull over the right car? Many questions to be answered!

Check website "Radar Roy".

Howard

i was just outside of philly, i got to stare at the airport while he processed everything, and walked about 3 laps around the VX gawking. the radar detector was last calibrated may 14, 2006, and he was using it himself (ive heard of people getting out of tickets because the ticketing officer didnt actually use the radar, the partner did, but didnt come to court, and hearsay works with police too) im definately going to court and hoping that the cop doesnt show, there were a few people around even if he got the wrong car, i was still passing the other cars, so he could use the radar as a point of refrence then, at this point ive accepted the fact that im screwed unless he doenst show up and am just trying to figure out how to not get my licence suspended/keep my insurance low enough that i can still afford the vx

I think if your DL would/could have been suspended it would have to have happened already. You made an error, you were penalized by the state/city for that, there is a set fine. (again my opinion only) I really dont think they can change the penalty to be more severe just because you decide to bring it to court. The officer who wrote you the ticket made a decision he thought fit the infraction, which he is trained to do, so I cant see anyone who wasnt there that night over ruling his professional opinion including the judge, unless you have some type of 3 strikes and your out laws.

Although there are no real reasons to be going that fast over the speed limit, it would be beneficial to have a reason when you get to court, it does help a little with the sympathy. Rather than the "umm, because I didnt see a cop" excuse.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

yeah i told the cop at the time that i was at the end of a 7 hour trip (which is true) and was just so in the zone driving i didnt see my exit, so when i realized i was a half mile away from it i had to speed up to get around some traffic so i could make my exit... and i thought i was in a 65 because the rest of the highway was 65

i appreciate everyones imput here, its makin me be able to relax about the whole thing a lot more

Whoa boy, lots of stuff, but not going to bother quoting it.

RE: plea bargaining, I wasnt referring to simply a lower cost fine. Moreso, a points reduction, for example from 6 to 2. Or BETTER yet... moving to a non-moving violation, that has happened on more than one occasion for me.

I used to get popped all the time, then I grew up and stopped driving quite so fast, because you gotta pay to play, and it became prohibitively expensive.
    I once was popped for 120 in a 65, mandatory court appearance. This was in CO, we lived in WY at the time, and were nearly late to court (physics final), showed up and the LEO did not. It was dismissed immediately. Fortunate for us, as we had ~$1200 in violations. I was driving, buddies car, so we both had to be there (at least it made sense to us at the time). Senior year.

Another time, I was cruisin 100 in a 65 (again I-25 near Ft Collins), LEO was decent and lowered it to 84 in a 65. Took a chance and went to court. Again, she didnt show up and case was dismissed.

Ones that I just got popped and paid were:
    97/45 ($300+)
    103/55 ($500 + 2 weeks community service)
    107/65 ($500+ + month community service)
    Cleaning the shoulders/medians is NOT fun, especially with the county inmates.

My ins rates were not good from 16-24 as the last ticket I got was when I was 21 and the 3 years for it to drop off the record.
    In WY, 4 tix in a year and you loose your license. It worked out that I always had 3, ten when it dropped down to two(after a year), I would get the third again.

I finally sensed up and decided it wasnt worth it and stayed clean for 12 years. I did get popped this year for 51/40 (amazing sunrise on the way to work and not paying attention to the speed, alone one on the road).

I did contact the DA and got leniency for my clean record and moved from the 4 pointer to a non-moving violation, with a fine (revenue generation).

Ive been there, I live to drive fast, but learned that it is best saved for the track. Cruise control is your friend.

Talk to the DA and see what you can work out.
    Good luck
    Take care,
    Keith
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.