Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Filter

You've got to drop the cross-member, support the tranny, undo 15 10mm bolts on the pan, make sure you don't strip them when you put them back in....

The gasket it's self will need to be scraped off...there's going to be fluid in there...

Gasket

OK, so do I need to buy a new gasket too? Or should this come with the replacement filter?

Bart

Arrow

Should come with gasket, be sure to check the package.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thanks Joe,

If it does not come with the gasket, what should I look for? Sorry for all the questions, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Should come with gasket, be sure to check the package.

Arrow

No problem! IIRC, you just need the pan gasket and the filter which are both typically included in a "kit" from AutoZone and similar merchants. Otherwise you'll need to order the gasket separately. A thin film of Permatex applied to the pan mating surface will help keep the gasket in place. If you've never seen an automatic transmission filter they're kinda funky looking and some have an o-ring or retention clip. I don't recall seeing anything like this on Isuzu transmissions, but that doesn't mean it won't be there.

Do you have the CD service manual?

Hey again, yes, I have the CD manual. I will be bringing my laptop with this on it and a bunch of other stuff (like your pics) to the shop when I go.

Thanks again,

Bart

PS - 2 more stupid questions, what does "IIRC" stand for, and what is Permatex?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    No problem! IIRC, you just need the pan gasket and the filter which are both typically included in a "kit" from AutoZone and similar merchants. Otherwise you'll need to order the gasket separately. A thin film of Permatex applied to the pan mating surface will help keep the gasket in place. If you've never seen an automatic transmission filter they're kinda funky looking and some have an o-ring or retention clip. I don't recall seeing anything like this on Isuzu transmissions, but that doesn't mean it won't be there.

Do you have the CD service manual?

permatex?

I suppose this is what you are talking about?

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/gasketmake.htm

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Thanks Joe,

If it does not come with the gasket, what should I look for? Sorry for all the questions, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Bart
    I bought mine at Autozone about 4 weeks ago and it included a gasket. Go out today and spray some penetrating lube on the cross member bolts as they're probably pretty tight in there.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    I suppose this is what you are talking about?

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/gasketmake.htm

Bart
    I usually use permatex copper for everything. You shouldn't need any for the transmission pan. In fact, it is not recommended, as it can act as a lube helping your gasket slide out of place as you tighten things up. Another reason not to use silicone is that pieces of it will break off and plug something important in your transmission. It has a lot more tiny holes and valves in it than your engine does.

If you do put some on, apply a little to the pan first, put the gasket on, then let it dry a bit so it acts as an adhesive instead. Still, it's best not to use any at all. Just clean everything well and the gasket will be fine.

Arrow

As Tobert mentions this is more as an adhesive use of the Permatex than sealing. I find that in many situations with an odd-shaped gasket that's been folded in a box for a while that you need more fingers than most of us come with to hold the gasket in place while trying to relocate the part into an assembly position. Using a high-tack slow drying gasket sealant in a thin, consistent layer helps a great deal and lets you focus on getting the part back into place without damaging the gasket.

Permatex Number 2 is just such a prodcut and is commonly available.

Great stuff: http://www.permatex.com/products/aut..._2_Sealant.htm

Just always remember to always apply any gasket sealer to the removable part side of the gasket surface unless specifically directed to do otherwise. This makes it very easy to clean the old gasket and sealant off when servicing the part in the future.

Thanks everyone, I'll report back with any problems next week! Hopefully it will go well, and depending on how disgustingly hot it is this weekend, I may try to photograph the session.

Bart

PS - anything above 70 degrees F is for cold-blooded creatures. Thank god summer in Chi-Town is short...

Absolutely NO gasket sealer on any of the VX gaskets (except oil pan) ESPECIALLY the tranny pan. I prefer the composite gaskets over the cork that comes with some filters but either should be work if you don't overtighten.

I just picked up the filter. It turned out to be $29.99 actually. Not too bad. The guy said it is OEM, came in a simple white box with cork gasket. I have the cork gasket flattening out right now, hopefully the folds will come out by this weekend.

Thanks - Bart

how much

Also, one more thing, if I am doing a transmission fluid and filter change, and the trans case, how much fluid should I buy? From what I have read on here, looks like 10 quarts should do the job. I told this to my buddy who is going to help me with the fluid change, and he said "no way, my truck (Dodge Ram Sport) only took like 5 quarts!"

So, I'm doing the transmission and the transfer case at the same time, so how much ATF should I buy? I'm going to Wal*mart tommorrow to see if they have the Mobile 1 synth.

Thanks to everyone again.

Bart

that all depends. depends on how much comes out. But, if you buy 10 and only 7 comes out... then you will be fine now won't you?

If you buy 5 and 7 come out then you will be making a trip.