Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tranny Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub

This has been posted in the past, but just in case you missed it...
    Yeah, I have seen it, printed it and keep a copy in my VX. But let me ask you all, what exactly does the document mean by:

"Add released transmission fluid until it flows out over the overfill screw opening."

How do you add "released" fluid? I assume released fluid is fluid that is coming out of the fill hole??? And when the doc refers to the "overfill screw opening", is this the same as the fill hole? Or is there another opening that I missed all together???

The document is very confusing to me. Everything else makes sense but that. Can someone clear this up?

Thanks,

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

I'm pretty sure the "overfill screw opening" is the same as the fill opening, especially in light of the fact that they mention replacing the gasket on only two locations (overfill & drain).
    As far as "released" fluid goes...who knows.
    One thing to keep in mind, these manuals are often translated by a person or persons who have a marginal grasp of the english language & it's terminologies/ proper usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Yeah, the whole "no dipstick" aspect of the 4L30E has been it's greatest complaint for the owners of the various makes it's been installed in. Once, I came across mention of a "dipstick tube" part and had hoped to see if such a thing would bolt up to the models without a tube. Never could get more info than the vague snippet I stumbled on.

If the Aisin 5-speed install goes nicely in the rally VX we're building then I may just need to convert the IronMan too.
    Take LOTS of pictures! I would love to have a manual in my VX. Are you going with a donor vehicle or piecing it together?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Tobert
    Are you going with a donor vehicle or piecing it together?
    We're going to raid the drivetrain from a late-model 5-speed Trooper since it already has the proper bell housing, mounts, clutch pedal with hanger/master cylinder and any other necessary hardware.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Question

OK folks,

Now I'm on the 2nd day of driving after my fluid cahnge. The VX is still shifting weird. Its not constantly doing it though. It seems like if I gun it a little off the line, it slams into gear, but if I take it easy, its ok.

My guess is I have too little or too much ATF in there. Im going under shortly to check the levels again and release/add as needed.

Any other tips? I am a little worried now! I'm gonna check the fluid using the above method. But I guess I am still wondering, if I open the fill nut and ATF comes out, does that mean there is too much? I mean, if it is overflowing out the fill hole, do I let it out until it stops and then cap off?

Bart

If it gushes out when hot, that may too much but I always have some coming out when I cap them.

'Released fluid', wonder if that was a asia instruction sheet that was translated in India for the English market. I sure we have all had a giggle with some of the instruction sheets with stuff we have had to assemble.

The Note at the bottom of the page about check trans temp with scan tool. Wish the scan gauge that Tone had would do that along with oil temp/press, transfer case temp also.

Arrow

Bart, be sure to check all your tranny connectors. You may want to disconnect and re-seat each of them to may sure they're clean and properly connected. Also take that opportunity to disconnect your negative battery terminal for about half an hour to reset the ECU as well.

Sounds like perhaps a sensor or parameter isn't being read properly.

Thanks Joe, I take it the tranny connectors are the cables that are wired up along the crossmember that I had to work around, eh?

I will do the battery disconnect tonight.

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Bart, be sure to check all your tranny connectors. You may want to disconnect and re-seat each of them to may sure they're clean and properly connected. Also take that opportunity to disconnect your negative battery terminal for about half an hour to reset the ECU as well.

Sounds like perhaps a sensor or parameter isn't being read properly.

Question for Joe_Black on the battery disconnect. manager at my local Shucks auto parts store said to reset the ECU, disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then hit the brake pedal 2 times to discharge the capacitor. What do you think?

i would think just disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour would do the trick, i disconnected for an hour while i was in class to get rid of a check engine light before i got my scan gauge, also did it on a 97 accord and worked the same. 30 min with no battery = no more lights (until the fault happens again of course) so im guessing that it cleared the computer

Arrow

Any capacitors within the ECU will not power or back-up anything other than the ECU. So stepping on the brake pedal to activate the brake lights will not drain down the ECU at all.

Impresses the chicks needing help at Pep Boys I imagine though.

Thanks Joe, it seemed a bit like B.S. to me but then I was a wrench bender on jets, not a spark chaser.

Question Follow up inspection

OK, I went under and checked my fluid. I had the above instructions (which I think are still worded really funny) in hand.

I think I was low on fluid. I let the VX idle for about a minute, then went through the shifter at every gear range, each for about 30 secs. Then I crawled under and opened the plug. No fluid came out, so I started pumping. With the VX still running, I kept pumping. I pumped at least 1.5 quarts in and still no fluid coming out. By this time, my neck was cramping badly so I crawled out and shut off the VX. I got up and stretched for about 30 secs and then I heard some fluid trickling out. Sure enough, it was coming out now into the pan. I let it come out for a few more secs and then capped off the fill hole.

Now, from what I can tell, with the VX running, ATF is sucked up into the vehicle's system. When the VX is off, it drains down into the pan. Does that sound right?

I hope I have enough in now and not too much. I mean, how exact is this science?

Man, I wish there was an easier way to check and fill the ATF. What a pain in the @55!

Bart

Arrow

Trannys are tough when you're not in it from the start, so you have to build a baseline to actually know how much fluid is in there. I've been fiddling with a homebuilt flush tool that would capture and measure what comes out so you could add the same amount back in. It's frustrating to try and make something that's easy to build, easy to understand, user friendly and light on the wallet.

In any case, welcome to the "4L30E Club". We're a grumpy bunch, and deservedly so!

Hopefully the additional volume of fluid will take care of the hard shifts.