Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chrome mirror cover covers

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Chrome mirror cover covers

In anticipation for Moab, I realize that I will need some kind of protection from scratching my chrome mirror covers should I go through any brush. I dont think it is enough just to fold them in. I spent too much money to mess them up so if anyone has ideas of what I can create for protection and hopefully still use the mirrors it would be appreciated. Otherwise I guess I could sew some full covers using a padded fabric and canvas.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

I only ride dirtbikes offroad, never an automobile anymore, so this might sound weird.

I have some friends who travel just to go offroading with their Jeep club. They always say the same thing. I dont want to scratch up my new this or that. Their brushguards, paint, and even their wheels are banged up and scratched, but god forbid they scratch up or dent their new whatevers. It always baffled me. You are going offroading for heaven's sake! Hehe, expect it! I think if people are afraid of scratching or banging stuff up, they wouldnt take it offroad (like me, I guess). Maybe get another auto that they dont mind putting through the grind. My dirtbikes all look like they have been to hell in a handbasket, hehe. But, they were made for the pummelling. My newest 4 wheeler hasnt been offroad much and is as purdy as can be. I have added chrome pipes and much more in the last year and refuse to even ride it now. I may never take it offroad since it is too purdy. I'll save the other one for that.

So, my advice Anita. Get another VX and dress it up purdy. Keep the existing one for the pounding. Or, just rough it out and wrap burlap around the mirrors (keeping the glass open so you can see all the Jeeps BEHIND YOU) with a bungie cord. That's what I used to do in my old Toyota.

I figure, there are those that do, and those that dont. Go figure, hehe. Good luck!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Gary,

Thank you for the incredibly helpful tip. I'll keep it in mind. :rollr:

But I had a better idea.. why dont I store away my VX and take yours to scratch up since you seem so understanding of my plight.

Just kidding....

Re: Chrome mirror cover covers

Originally posted by Anita
    In anticipation for Moab, I realize that I will need some kind of protection from scratching my chrome mirror covers . . .
    How about a hair net / shower cap type setup. Basically a small sack with elastic to hold it on. Don't have anything specific in mind, just throwing out ideas.

Anita,

I was going to do as you suggest, sew some out of vinyl with padding like the ones they make for Porsches. I just haven't gotten my butt in gear to do it. I am a pretty good seamstress so if you need someone to bounce ideas off of, just email me.

Have them covered by the same 3M material that they do clear bras with.. I did the backs of my un-chromed mirrors for the same reason..
    Scott / moncha.com

Booger them up. Cover them with big wads of rubber cement. When you are done, you can just peel it off.

I was going to suggest clear silicone. Anything that comes off without leaving a residue would work.
    Stick with what works.

Leather

I'm for the leather padded mirror covers. I, too am a pretty good with a sewing machine. I can try to work with some fabrics to get patern. This has to be do-able.
    As far as off roading and still keeping it nice..... well let me tell
    ya... The first dent was hard. The first scratch was hard. When I drove it down the side of a rock wall... it was hard. When we had to replace the first tire from sidewall damage... it was hard. When I watch my dear hubby take a sawzall to the cladding... it was hard. It still looks awesome washed up on Mondays.

I too can totally understand the ones that want to keep the no scratch look. Its just a few of us like the "well seasoned 4wheeler" look.
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

I'd take a set of those mirror bras Deb!!

Where can one find these leather covers?

That wouldnt be very productive on your part Anita. My VX wouldnt get through any type of offroading venture.

BUT! I can lend you an enduro or a 4 wheeler!!

Seriously (and I mentioned this in my other reply without the sarcasm), use burlap and bunjie cords. Inexpensive and effective. And proven. I used to do it.

Leather?

How about neoprene backed zip on Nuagahide? Very tough, protective, and good looking
    NAVIGATOR

I've seen great ones without a zipper - they used elastic and either a tie or snap to go around the "arm" (where the mirror attaches to the body). Shouldn't be TOO hard to make...

Can someone put something together before Moab? Deby? Navigator? Otherwise its the Anita padded mirror cover falsies...