Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Update on Morgan-tec S/C kit testing

Update on Morgan-tec S/C kit testing

Well i have it done and tuned and am very happy with the testing i have done so far. I have yet to get it on the dyno but it is a lot stronger all the way through the powerband, and especially in boost. I am limited to 5psi for now since i have to figure a way to crack the ecu to lengthen the injector pulse. I had a smaller pulley on but a 5.2psi i trip three codes and the ecu kills the engine into reduced power mode which limits me to 1500rpms. Anyways here are a bunch of pics. For those of you who don't know i am using a Powerdyne BD-11A blower with a custom machined Vortec 3.33" pulley, an HKS SSQV blow off valve, a belt tensioner off a ford aerostar and idler pulleys off a 6.0L powerstroke, and a K&N for a jet ski. I designed, fabricated, welded, machined, and powdercoated everything else. As for gas milage the worst tank i have gotten to date i average 16.8mpg, that is basically my foot on the floor and in boost all the time. The best in city tank was 22.4mpg and the best highway was 27.6mpg, all these are according to the incar computer in the dash. Let me know what ya think.

Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Here are a few more pics:

That looks HOT! Are you sure you can't leave the stock fan in place?

The stock fan would hit the crank pulley extension or i guess it could be shortened a few inches to clear it. But i have had no problems with my electric fan and we have been really hot this summer a week at a time in the high 90s into the 100s.

As usual you did beautiful work. I understand you are testing the axiom, but can the mpg be that different, I dont think I could touch 20mpg on the highway. Is it possible the onboard numbers are wrong similar to what I believe Tone mentioned in a previous post about the scanguage not being accurate on s/c'd engines? What was the mpg before the s/c was added?
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Well the mpg #s check out with simple division of trip miles divided by my 15 gallon tank. The thing you need to remember is i picked the powerdyne because of the impeller design which actually grabs the air and pulls it in. So even when i am running in vacume the air intake is more efficient than before. If you get a chance check out powerdynes site and read up on their impeller design. AS for mpg before s/c i averaged around 18mpg city. My intake adn exhaust kits kicked that up about 3mpg over stock.

That looks REALLY NICE. One question though, how the heck do you keep your engine compartment so CLEAN?? Mine never looks that good!

Oh, and one more question... when are you going to install one for me?? I'm thinking a flat black or gray powdercoat with blue trim would look lovely in my 99 Ebony VX
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Nice looking black oil cap!
    Fuzzy
    2001 Proton #1413
    Kaneohe, HI

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    That looks REALLY NICE. One question though, how the heck do you keep your engine compartment so CLEAN?? Mine never looks that good!

Oh, and one more question... when are you going to install one for me?? I'm thinking a flat black or gray powdercoat with blue trim would look lovely in my 99 Ebony VX

Yeah, if you could provide some advice on how you keep the engine compartment so clean, Id appreciate it too.

Hat's off Morgan...very very nice...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Scan Gauge will be accurate on any engine IF tire circumferance is taken into account and that difference plugged into it for it to calculate off of. A stock computer would NOT be able to handle that adjustment without recalibrating the speedo or ECU. If Mike is using the truck odo to calculate mileage and has changed tire diameter, then it is not a correct calculation (unless that percentage change has been figured into the equation). His before number might be higher or lower than stated and it is very dependent upon altitude, heat, and driving style.

The most important part of all this is, if you are considering a SC, MPG doesn't matter. You've already bought the wrong vehicle for economy and I promise you with the additional power the SC offers, you will use MORE fuel - any time you step into it, it's going to richen the mixture. Unless you drive it slow and then that begs the question of WHY are you getting it?

Arrow :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    The most important part of all this is, if you are considering a SC, MPG doesn't matter. You've already bought the wrong vehicle for economy and I promise you with the additional power the SC offers, you will use MORE fuel - any time you step into it, it's going to richen the mixture. Unless you drive it slow and then that begs the question of WHY are you getting it?
    ^ I'd have to second that! ^

Morgan, This kit looks pretty awsome. The craftsmanship put into it is well done. One question though, am i stuck with just that one SC considering your bolt patterns on your mounting bracket or are they somewhat the same design? just curious. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy
    Nice looking black oil cap!
    Thanks man, how is your yellow one?

Okay my 22s are 0.96% larger in diameter than stock and that was taken into account when i caculated the mpg. But as tone stated you dont supercharge for gas milage. I was just posting the results that i got on my axiom while testing. Which were much better than i expected them to be.

As for engine cleaning, i use a good degreser and a good soap down with a nice rinse. Remember i show this a lot during the summer, almost every weekend for the last two months so it stays clean all summer. Ask Fuzzy about my little engine cleaning secrets. After i installed my intake kit on his Vx i cleaned his engine in less then five minutes and it was a mojor improvment.

My specific kit is designed to use the Powerdyne blower but, it could be changed to fit any # of blowers. The only thing is that the pulley size as well as belt length would also have to be changed, which is a pain in the *****.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan-tec
    Okay my 22s are 0.96% larger in diameter than stock and that was taken into account when i caculated the mpg. But as tone stated you dont supercharge for gas milage.

I agree, I was merely stating an observation on your fuel economy that happened to impress me, considering it being s/c'd and all.