Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FLORIDA MEET - OCALA FOREST JUNE 28th

Talking FLORIDA MEET - OCALA FOREST JUNE 28th

Please join your fellow VXers in the Ocala National Forest for a weekend of off-road comeraderie and mayhem. This is a shameless imitation of the fantastic event thrown by our Atlanta/Tennessee crew as it worked out so well. There will be advance camp setup mid-day Friday for early arrivals and plenty of trails to run through Sunday for those interested. I will be posting more info in the next two weeks and will put up some photos of the area as well. Plenty of hotel acommodations are nearby for the less rugged who wish to attend. A list of the closest will be included in the future info. Please post any questions and also start throwing the RSVP's so I can plan on sites. See y'all June 28th!!!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I am interested please send me any info.

Talking At this time!!!!

...i would formally like to request help for when i get stuck...cause im there man! Look forward to getting more info....x

Thumbs up

No problem -x-, I broke the tow-strap in this past weekend. Just ask forgetful! LOL! I should have some additional info up late Sunday.

Talking

Just wanted to post an update as I didn't get out to scout the trails this weekend as anticipated. However, I believe the two sites in the running for the event will either be Salt Springs or Ocklawaha. Stay tuned, more info to come!!!

Here's another idea and something for y'all to think about regarding the camping site. It is called Juniper springs and it is in the heart of Ocala national forest, 1.5 hours west of Daytona Beach, Florida (we can get some beach shots with our VX's...). There's a sweet water swimming pool where the spring is, surrounded by a grassy area where you can lay back and catch a tan. A short nature trail and a long one (it's
    There is a short nature trail and a long one (it's right next to the Florida trail...), and a 4 hour jungle canoe run which at the end of you are picked up and dropped back. There are many off-road trails of various levels in the area too.
    Joe Black and I will do some scouting in the near future but meanwhile, here's some links with info about Juniper springs:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/springs/locator/juniper.htm
    http://tfn.net/Springs/Juniper.htm

We'll keep you posted
    Niv

Keep me apprized, as well.

Me and my VX were down at Juniper Springs meeting with Florida black bear researchers just a few weeks ago. It does look like a good place for a meet.

Just a word of caution, unless you'd want to meet a black bear, face to face, I'd leave the Krispy Kreme donuts at home. They actually use them to bait traps when monitoring the bears, Believe It Or Not!
    ...behold a government which to bigotry gives no sanction and to persecution no assistance...
    1790 Geo. Washington

Definitely interested

Never really done any real off-roading, and have never checked out the Ocala Nat'l Forest, although I pass through from time to time. I'd be interested in going to the meet if a newbie won't drag you guys down... I'm in Jacksonville, so pretty close.

It'd be great to have you join us Heraclid! The Florida bunch isn't heavily modded so you should have no trouble keeping up, although a few of us are a bit, umm... enthusiastic about off-roading! LOL! Come on down, meet your fellow Floridian VXers and have a great time!

Would love to, but absolutely do not want to tear anything up on the VX in the process. Right now things are tight and just about anything would be too expensive to fix, and I already need a new CD changer (that damn bleepity bleep), a window fix, and a crack fixed on the door panel. By the time I get that stuff done, my baby may need new shoes too...

But nonetheless, I may show up. Need to go back and read some more... if we have a definite meeting place I'll find it in the posts... if not, please keep me posted. Thanks!

Hey, by the way, isn't Joe Black a dead guy?

If you saw the movie...

Thumbs up

No worries mate! The forest is criss-crossed by hundreds of miles of road-trails and the gnarly stuff is entirely optional. So come along for the ride and do what you feel comfortable with or just watch. Besides, with all the VX knowledge gathered about your VX may leave in better shape than it arrived!

As for being a dead guy, I'm sure many here will attest I'm very much alive. At least after getting coffee! Still haven't seen the movie...

Oh man, the part where he dies in that movie is just brutal and a total surprise.

I'd love to go. Wife will be in Seattle then too, so no honey-do's that weekend either. Just let me know when you get the exact meeting spot nailed down.

I think you mentioned that this group isn't heavily modded. Mine is pure stock, no performance or looks mods... I did put in seat covers to protect them a bit more when I'm not trying to impress anyone. But does anyone have any minor mods like the flashing third brake light, door popper, etc.? Wouldn't keep me from coming of course, but would be cool to see that stuff because I'm thinking about a few things for mine down the road.

Moderate mods

I've got the third brake light flasher and popper kit installed with the experienced hand of Johnnyapollo. I'm planning on making the Ocala meet, so you'll have at least one example present, but I'm sure there will be a few others, functional performance and safety mods were at the top of my list of to-dos.

Hopefully, I'll have the side-marker/turn-signal lamp mods installed by the time of the meet. If not, maybe a few wiring-happy VXers will lend their fingers to some routing.

I also hope to have my new PV2 installed, so we can get a good comparison to the reported audible differences of the next generation muffler.

I'm still debating on whether to invest in a Eulodium Pew-36 Explosive Space Modulator, but I don't think the front cladding will hide it.

Talking

I put my Space Modulator in the middle of my hood! LOL!