My head unit (aftermarket Kenwood) went out about a week ago, so I've been driving around in silence for a while. It's good in that I think I've answered most of life's questions (you get a lot of deep thinking time driving for three hours with no tunes), but now I'm starting to go stir crazy.

I went into a stereo shop the other day (BIG mistake) and now I've got the bug. I knew the VX needed some bass, but hearing the systems really drove that fact home.

My problem is that I am completely clueless when it comes to car stereos, but I would like to do this myself. I'm not looking for a system as crazy as biju's, but I would like something that will have a nice round sound and still look mostly stock. As a starting point, I found an identical head unit to the one that went out in my VX on Ebay. It's a two year old Kenwood KDC-X869.

I know many of you here can help me out, but I would also like to know if there is a book or website out there that I can go to to start reading up on this stuff. Sort of like a "Car Stereo for Dummies." Eventually I would like to replace the stock speakers and build a sub-box to fit behind the back seats. I'll also have to find a place to hide and amp or two.

Any suggestions (or is that a dumb question)?