Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: State vs aftermarket exhaust

State vs aftermarket exhaust

Totally forgot to mention this, but last month, I was pulled over by a "state" cop who issued me a work order to change my exhaust. I have the PV1 and it is hardly annoying. Far from it, especially after they are broken in. ANyways, he gave me a song and dance about the use of an aftermarket exhaust in the state of MD and the noise issue involved. WTF! I did some hunting around and could not come up with a single law/issue involving the state of Maryland vs aftermarket exhausts. Did we go the same route that Mass did and simply did not "notify taxpaying citizens" of Maryland of this new change? The cop was hardly sympathetic and offered no information except to say "look into the laws before you go making modifications to your vehicle". ppffttt

Anyways, I got the legal workorder to get the exhaust changed out and I have 30 days to send in the signed order. The shops I spoke to said they have no clue what law this falls under. The police friends I have said they arent sure of any exhaust laws. So.... I guess its off to court I go. Trying to see if I can get a rep from SEMA to accompany me. That would rule.

Unless I can find some legal document or state code that validates this, I must fight the power!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

WG -

Check with the MVA headquarters up in Glen Burnie(SP?) before you go getting your exhaust changed out. If it still works the way it used to, those are the folks you have to get reinspected by, so they are required to know the appropriate laws and have the authority to cancel your ticket.

I had a similar incident occur to me in the great state of Merryland a few years back. I was pulled over and given a ticket for having tint that was too dark on the rear window of a pickup. WTF? It was behind the driver, and I had both mirrors. I knew the law, the cop didn't. Guilty until proven innocent. I had to take a half day off work and drive up to GB just to confirm that I was in the right and have the ticket cancelled.

Unfortunately I am not sure what the law is in MD regarding loud exhaust. Have you tried checking with a shop that does aftermarket exhausts? Those guys should know the laws.

KP
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

I talked to 2 shops that do exhausts. They couldnt make any sense out of it and said my exhaust was very tame compared to 90% of what is out there. And I agree with them. I htink this cop just felt the need to put on his big boy pants and push a littel weight around, cause when not in his squad car, he is probably driving a brown '79 Toyota Corrolla.

I am looking more into the matter. I refuse to take the PV off when they let millions of ricers speed around with their Mr Coffee pipes.

definately challenge that, i lived in maryland since i was born til i turned 18.. and have heard many many many exhausts louder than a PV.. there were a couple guys in my neighborhood who would drive down the street a gear too low to see how many car alarms they could set off around 11-12 at night...

yeah, ive been pulled over for windows being tinted too dark... lucky for me, there happened to be a friend of mine in the squad car.. cop still said that if they couldnt recognize my face the windows were too dark, so i had to take it off and tint it again a little lighter (35% is legal i think)

The law enforcement standards in Maryland have always left something to be desired in my opinion. The fact is, a police officer is not required to know the law to issue tickets, and I, a law abiding citizen, have been inconvenienced more than once because of it. On the other hand, I understand they've got a tough job, so regardless of my previous experiences I try to remember that. What you said about the tint reminded me of something that I read recently that made some sense. I'm not sure if it would work in Maryland, but I've been told that here in Washington, the biggest issue police have with tint is when they can't see what the driver is doing because it puts them on the defensive. The recommendation around here is to roll down your window and turn on your dome light immediately after pulling over, before the cop even gets out of the car. Popular opinion seems to be that they won't mess with you about your tint as long as you display these "submissive behaviours".

Kpaske,
    I live in Los Angeles, so you can imagine the defensive behavior of Law Enforcement out here.

Another good piece of advice is to put your hands on the steering wheel until they ask for your license: if you immediately start rummaging in your pockets and glove box, who knows what you are reaching for.

Good luck, hope you win this battle with little hassle to your life and wallet. But in the end, IF you have to get rid of of the PV, might be interested in taking it off of your hands since I guess you can't get them anywhere anymore.

The only thing the P.D's. in Washington State are concerned with is speeding, the hell with anything else that has to do with traffic safety. But then, that probable applies to the rest of the colonies.

WG: Thats BS.

My friend had straight pipes on his Z71 over on the Eastern Shore, and never had a problem.

Hell, half the bubbas in my hometown of Easton would be getting tickets everyday if what the state patrolman said is true.
    2000 Black VX 105k

That sucks, but just to give you some fighting arguements (providing the judge doesnt just call the cop a dumb asz!

1) Do any cops suffer any hearing loss? (loud sirens, etc, I think so)
    2) If there is a law, there must be an "accurate" way of enforcing it. Meaning a decibal meter would need to be used.
    3) Personally I dont think there is a chance in hell of you losing this case, even if there is a law.

GL
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

i cannot offer you any words of advise but rather just state that I think it is craziness man...fight it all the way.

I cant imagine that being a law. Here in OK we have something similar but I think it is mostly for

A) Those "good ole boys" who get glasspacks, run em hot, then hose the muffler so they shatter and have that harley-3-feet-from-your-ear roar to them

and B) so they have an excuse to pull you over and check out what you go going on in the cab. They nevver issue anything more than a warning for "faulty equipment" or something...but never actually having you go get it worked on.

Actually if u really want to have a strong case, get your hands on a decibal meter, go to the local Harley Dealership and take a few comparisons. I am sure the dealership would be glad to help, being how they admire loud exhaust systems. I dont think the judge is really gonna wanna shut down a Harley Dealership. Just my 2cents

So you got a State Inspection Order...

The inspection order just means you need to get your vehicle inspected to see if it is in compliance, the officer is not judge, jury, and executioner, he just sent you to verify if everything is AOK. So take it in for inspection to reveal what is "legal" the inspector will know. Get a lawyer for some heads up before you go if you like. Dosen't mean you are guilty of anything, just that your rig looks or sounds "suspicious"
    NAVIGATOR

Yes, to reiterate my original point, this isn't likely something that will "go to court". An inspection order gives you 30 days to prove that your vehicle is in compliance with all of the local laws, and if not, to make the appropriate repairs.

Call up the MVA in Glen Burnie and ask them how they determine whether your VX is in compliance or not. They have folks from the State PD who are trained to inspect your vehicle and have the authority to pass or fail you (unlike the patrolman who issued you the ticket).

Better yet....

Took it for the inspection this morning. Sucks that I had to pay for it, but whatever, if it clears me, so be it. Anyways, the VX passed in all aspects. I didnt tell them I had a work order, but that I just wanted an inspection for "my sake". There wasnt even a mention of the exhaust (as I didnt even mention it was the concern). I THEN told them why I had them inspect it. The tech, Martin, looked at the order and then asked what sort of exhaust it was. He, of course, had never heard of a PowerVault, but said it didnt cause any fume or noise concern. He looked a few more things over like the catalytic and tailpipe and just shrugged. He had no idea what the state cop was thinking. He told me, there ARE a few ordinances concerning exhausts in MD but they are mostly emissions reliant. Noise is a small concern, but it is not necassarily illegal, unless it it outrageously loud, but that would fall under a basic disturbing of the peace, heh. He signed off on my order and told me to go to court anyways and present that order to the judge as proof that there is nothing wrong or illegal about my exhaust. He had no qualms about the court having his information, as if they would even contact him for whatever, but he wrote it down for me anyways (i guess to prove that he isnt one of those pay-off inspection techs).

So, now I just sit back and wait for my court date. On a plus note, I have to take the VX to emissions this weekend.... and I will take note of what they DONT say when it passes with flying colrs and bring that info to court as well.

woo VX conquers all!