Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices = $2.34?

Have you heard that the U.S. government is considering emposing a $2 to $3 per gallon tax on the gas we buy? This is an effort to raise our awareness of our dependancies on oil, generate revenue for improving mass transit, and to get us to drive less, which will improve our air quality.
    ...And to drive our economy into the worst possible state of existence.
    2000 Black VX 105k

New LOW beat this $2.25 Southern IN

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO
    Have you heard that the price of gas in the U.S. is cheap compared to the International rate of $5 to $6 a gallon?

Have you heard that the U.S. government is considering emposing a $2 to $3 per gallon tax on the gas we buy? This is an effort to raise our awareness of our dependancies on oil, generate revenue for improving mass transit, and to get us to drive less, which will improve our air quality.
    I find it hard to believe our government wants to do this, but personally would like to see gasoline nail $6 a gallon and do nothing but go up from there. The general American populace will never change a bad habit until forced to do so, and the recent increase in fuel consumption in spite of price hikes just proves it. Ramping up fuel prices to that level would be a significant wake-up call that something better has been around under our noses for a long time.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

$2.17 today in baytown, TX
    don't hate

SURE LET'S TAX THE HELL OUT OF THE LITTLE GUY SO WE CAN'T EVEN DRIVE ANYMORE........

SMART MOVE "UNCLE SAM"

I got news for all those idiot government boys....you are not going to change the American lifestyle by simply taxing people to death. The only thing that does is remove money from their pockets so they have less to keep the economy moving. Stagnant economy=less jobs=more welfare=NO economy!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    I find it hard to believe our government wants to do this, but personally would like to see gasoline nail $6 a gallon and do nothing but go up from there. The general American populace will never change a bad habit until forced to do so, and the recent increase in fuel consumption in spite of price hikes just proves it. Ramping up fuel prices to that level would be a significant wake-up call that something better has been around under our noses for a long time.
    Don't you really wish that the American public would experience the wake up call WITHOUT having to artificially inflate fuel prices? And just what do you think the gub'ment is going to do with all that extra money? Put it into "alternative fuel research"? Yeah, with a loophole that classifies oil drilling in the Gulf and Alaska as "alternative fuels".

But frankly this won't ever happen as long as the oil cronies maintain control of the White House. They don't want people to stop using oil. Period. That's why G.W. likes to push Ethanol - the blends still require lots and lots of dirty, bloody oil.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

I am all for drilling in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385
    It's better than relying on unstable foreign governments to supply a big chunk of our energy needs, but the long term solution is to adopt renewable resources and get off fossil fuels forever.

Well, BMW announced today that they'll be producing a hydrogen-powered 7-series in limited numbers with their goal of eventually being 100% hydrogen across the line. Should be interesting to watch a distribution network and an economy develop around the most plentiful thing in the universe.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385

Trouble is...and somebody please correct me if I got this wrong...we already have oil in Alaska that we use something to the effect of 2% for ourselves and sell the rest to Japan and I believe possibly Germany too for a profit; while we buy a great portion from the middle-east for ourselves for a lesser amount. IF I got this right...it is the greed of our country that makes us dependent on foreign oil. "Buy for less and sell for more."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Well, BMW announced today that they'll be producing a hydrogen-powered 7-series in limited numbers with their goal of eventually being 100% hydrogen across the line. Should be interesting to watch a distribution network and an economy develop around the most plentiful thing in the universe.
    As much as I would like to see us switch to a hydrogen economy....the program I watched on the history channel stated that in order to speed up the process of establishing the infrastructure and utilizing the refineries we already have...hydrogen could be produced using fossil fuels.

which means BP, EXXON, Chevron, etc...still would own our collective a$$e$.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
    As much as I would like to see us switch to a hydrogen economy....the program I watched on the history channel stated that in order to speed up the process of establishing the infrastructure and utilizing the refineries we already have...hydrogen could be produced using fossil fuels.

which means BP, EXXON, Chevron, etc...still would own our collective a$$e$.
    Yup, that's one of hydrogen's dark secrets most of the greeny public doesn't realize.

Kobie, I hate you. We hit a new low today in T-Town...$2.23. You still beat me.

Ok, so it is 2006 and we now know that the Hindenburg disaster was caused by a build up of electricity in the fabric panels. And it was solely the flammability of the panels that cause the Hindenburg to ketch on fire.
    http://www.brianlynchmd.com/HINDENBURG/hindenburg2.htm

Hydrogen is lighter than air. Hydrogen will accumulate if trapped under something. For example "This New Car" podcast says that if your garage ceiling accumulates as little as 3% hydrogen, then if it gets ignited by a spark, there would be enough energy to completely destroy the house and everyone inside.
    http://www.wicn.org/programs/thisnewcar.htm
    Available at the iTunes Music Store for free.

"While some are concerned about hydrogen's explosiveness, Jacobson said another property of hydrogen?its lightness?may lessen this danger. He cited an example of two cars?one conventional, one hydrogen-powered?that were hit from behind. The car powered by an internal combustion engine became engulfed in flames when its gas tank was punctured. But when the hydrogen car's fuel cell was punctured, since hydrogen is 14 times lighter than air, the flames just shot straight up. The car was saved."
    http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...en-071305.html

I'm curious since hydrogen is lighter than air, if the hydrogen tank is in a sealed trunk which has weather stripping and seals to keep rain out, like a typical family car. If the tank leaks before it is caught on fire? Wouldn't the hydrogen accumulate in the truck, slowly leak out into the passenger compartment through the gaps between the seats?

Second, what would the risk be, as pertains to terrorism, if we had a hydrogen refueling and storage facility on every city corner, as we now have gas stations?

I'm generally curious I have not heard these topics discussed.

What has to be done is that all these political boneheads need their expense accounts terminated for good.Let them pay for everything they want out of their own pocket just like the rest of us(gas,lunches,travel,lodging,protection,etc.).You would'nt see them driving their big limo's or flying in their jets with all the bodyguards following close by in those huge suburban's and excursions while staying at the most expensive places.That ought to be a honor to be elected into a polital office not just a free ride.A way to rape us taxpayers blind.Like my dad always says"It's CORRUPTION from the president all the way down the line".Is that the truth or not?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JAFO
    Ok, so it is 2006 and we now know that the Hindenburg disaster was caused by a build up of electricity in the fabric panels. And it was solely the flammability of the panels that cause the Hindenburg to ketch on fire.
    http://www.brianlynchmd.com/HINDENBURG/hindenburg2.htm

Hydrogen is lighter than air. Hydrogen will accumulate if trapped under something. For example "This New Car" podcast says that if your garage ceiling accumulates as little as 3% hydrogen, then if it gets ignited by a spark, there would be enough energy to completely destroy the house and everyone inside.
    http://www.wicn.org/programs/thisnewcar.htm
    Available at the iTunes Music Store for free.

"While some are concerned about hydrogen's explosiveness, Jacobson said another property of hydrogen?its lightness?may lessen this danger. He cited an example of two cars?one conventional, one hydrogen-powered?that were hit from behind. The car powered by an internal combustion engine became engulfed in flames when its gas tank was punctured. But when the hydrogen car's fuel cell was punctured, since hydrogen is 14 times lighter than air, the flames just shot straight up. The car was saved."
    http://news-service.stanford.edu/new...en-071305.html

I'm curious since hydrogen is lighter than air, if the hydrogen tank is in a sealed trunk which has weather stripping and seals to keep rain out, like a typical family car. If the tank leaks before it is caught on fire? Wouldn't the hydrogen accumulate in the truck, slowly leak out into the passenger compartment through the gaps between the seats?

Second, what would the risk be, as pertains to terrorism, if we had a hydrogen refueling and storage facility on every city corner, as we now have gas stations?

I'm generally curious I have not heard these topics discussed.
    Hydrogen isn't nearly so dangerous in real-world use as many opponents will lead you to believe. Yes, if you can contain a given amount in a sealed space and ignite there could be disastrous results. But like any light gas it will disperse given any opportunity, meaning that if some leaks into your garage it will find it's way out quite easily. If some did accumulate and ignite you'd see a big "poof" of brief flame as it expanded and consumed itself. (Don't ask how I know this!) For an explosion to occur from any combustible material you have to have a significant volume contained with enough restriction to burst from it's own rapid expansion after ignition.

Hydrogen has many potential benefits as a fuel, but right now it's very energy-intensive to produce. As mentioned earlier in this thread it's often produced from petroleum and uses petroleum fueled energy to make. Very much an "upside down" alternative fuel at this point until some advances are made in mass production technology.