Thread: New headunit, subwoofer, tires....

New headunit, subwoofer, tires....

I finally installed a new head unit for my VX (Sony) and added an amplified subwoofer (Infinity Basslink since I did not want to mess with amplifiers and such...). Although I did not replace the stock speakers...The improvement in sound is abismal!!! For those who have not added a subwoofer....please do so! The sound improvement is incredible, even with the stock speakers!
    I also replaced the 6 cd changer (was damaged) with a storage pocket for added storage...

I also replaced the tires on my VX. I used to have Terra Grapplers, but changed to Hankooks (the Terra Grapplers went to Little Beast). After a day or so, decided that I did not like the Hankooks and exchanged for the Falkens Ziex. Although I have to confess that the TGs are better looking tires for the VX, I'm very pleased with the look and performance of the Falkens. A lot quieter, although not made for serious off-roading.

Attached are some pics of my new "additions". Next in line are the sunroof, chrome step-bars / safari bar, and chromed fangs (thanks Little Beast!)

Daniel

Lookin good man, why did you not like the Hankooks? I am running the Ventus Rho6 and love them. The falkens are a good choice as well just curious.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

Agree...

indeed. nice improvements.

rh06's are nice rubber. I had them on my axiom (before selling it). i'm curious also as to why you replaced them...

where did you purchase the infinity sub setup?

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Thanks. For some reason the Hankooks did not appear to be as wide as the Falkens. I ordered them in the same size as the TGs and Falkens (285/65/18), but they HKs did not look as good once mounted. I think is because of the tire walls or tread pattern. So the problem was the looks, and not the performance (just used them for 1 day).

The Infinity set-up was purchased on Ebay. Paid $119 shipped (compare to Best Buy $299 ). Only thing missing were the mounting brackets, which are still on backorder from Infinity ($15). The subwoofer is strapped to my back seat in the mean time.

For installation, a local shop charged me $75 for the wiring and hook up. Not too bad as I tend to blow some fuses and burn wires.

Regards

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    god bless ebay...

do you have any pictures of your VX with the rh06's on? just curious as to what they'd look like on our rides...

-biju.

No, unfortunately I did not take pics. Sorry....

Quote Originally Posted by VXD959
    I finally installed a new head unit for my VX (Sony) and added an amplified subwoofer (Infinity Basslink since I did not want to mess with amplifiers and such...). Although I did not replace the stock speakers...The improvement in sound is abismal!!! For those who have not added a subwoofer....please do so! The sound improvement is incredible, even with the stock speakers!
    if you're going to upgrade headunits and retain stock speakers, you're best bet is to purchase a head unit with crossover capability. this allows you to set your frequency range for each channel, so that you're not asking too much from those factory speakers.