Thread: What's that noise?

What's that noise?

Zup Fam -
    I have a quick question. I searched the site for a closely related problem
    but did not find anything similar to this situation. See, once my VX warms up it makes this weird sound that sort of fades in & out. I can't pin point where is coming from but seems like the right hand side of the engine (opposite battery side) The crazy thing is that it gets louder when I turn on the lights, open or close a window or move the steering column. When everything is of like the ac, radio & lights is not that bad, but worsens once any electrical is turned on. I have amps in the car with some subs but I doubt they're at fault for like I mentioned, it still makes the noise. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any feedback is welcomed for I just don't want to get ripped off once I bring take it to a shop. Also, if anyone can suggest a good trustworthy mechanic in NYC it'll be really & greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Fam -
    Edwin
    cell: 718-408-0412
    vestimante@msn.com
    Ed
    NYC

right hand side? you mean the drivers' side?

Theres not much over there strictly related to the electrical system other than the starter. The alternator is on the passenger side and I've heard them start to whine when under load.

Plus, you're just kidding yourself thinking that amplifiers don't contribute to electrical system load. When I had a stereo system in the trooper, I went through an alternator or two.

Disconnect the stereo stuff from the battery and see if the noise still happens.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Arrow

Yup, sounds like alternator bearing whine. The amps do add SIGNIFICANTLY to your electrical load and can cause an untimely end to a stock or undersized alternator, especially if you run your systems hard.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...