Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: replacing rear speakers

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    nah, the amp is small enough that it fits into that well under the seat, the metal flap doesnt make it quite to the amp, if the seat is all the way forward to the most extreme forward position, the RCAs stick out under the flap because i raised the amp up off the floor just enough that they fit over the floor and under the flap

lucky, i had to trim some of the flap off to fit my amp. nice install btw.

okay, well i finally got around to updating my how-to on rear speaker installation/upgrading/rear panel removal... i decided it was much easier to remove all the panels instead of just the one with the speaker in it, so i gave a 'quick' description on how to remove the other panels as well.. any feedback/more advice would be appreciated as im certainly no expert on the subject, im sure i missed one or two things

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=25

I noticed your amp is under your driver's seat.... no overheating issues there? I had my amp installed under my driver's seat in my Amigo and even though it had built in fans, it would overheat occasionally. Lack of air flow and the fllorboards tended to get hot and the carpeting allowed the heat to stick around. Moving it to the rear of the car remedied any and all overheating. Had any issues with heat under the seat since your install?
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

nope, havent had any issues with overheating, i was worried that the heat from the floor would cause me heat problems, so i put in a sheet of 5/8" MDF under the amp (which also lifted it up out of the well which im guessing would retain a lot of heat and made running wires to it easier since it sat up a little higher),,ive run it as long as 5 hours at a time with no issues

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    I noticed your amp is under your driver's seat.... no overheating issues there? I had my amp installed under my driver's seat in my Amigo and even though it had built in fans, it would overheat occasionally. Lack of air flow and the fllorboards tended to get hot and the carpeting allowed the heat to stick around. Moving it to the rear of the car remedied any and all overheating.
    How hard you're driving the amp also makes a huge difference in how hot it gets. I drive my front amp really hard - any time the volume is over about 60%, it starts to get pretty hot. My sub amp, on the other hand, is almost always cool-to-room-temperature.

I had originally planned to mount my front amp under the seat, but it was too big. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't because it probably would overheat. A less powerful or more efficient amp might not have the same heat issues.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

yea, that probably contributes to my amp not heating up, ive only got the gain on it turned up maybe 40-50%, and its loud enough that i cant stand being in the car when its turned up.. past about 50% on the head unit... and ive yet to hear even a hint of distortion... love it!!

where did you guys end up putting your amps that they wouldnt overheat? i just ordered my new amp for my subs (an 80watt rms per channel upgrade) and well its bigger than i thought, so looks like it will not be fitting under the passenger seat like id planned, it is still only about 2-1/2" thick, but too wide to clear all the levers and such under the seat

My sub amp is mounted to my sub box, inside the rear door. Excellent airflow there because it's entirely open. My front amp is currently just sitting on the floor behind the passenger seat - one of these days I'll be building a raised floor / amp rack behind both seats.

thats my thought.. building a raised floor there and mounting it to the underside of that(i want all amps/wiring hidden, only speakers showing).. will need to put a small fan down there to keep air going though, my biggest problem with that is losing the ability to recline the seats.. hmm

Currently, I just have a free standing Isobaric box behind the rear seats and the amps are mounted to the box. Space is pretty limited in the rear for sub mounting unless you actually build something in the rear that still grants easy access. I cant say I much care about heavy systems anymore though. As long as my iPod can plug in, I am happy.