Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: replacing rear speakers

replacing rear speakers

so i finally got my 6.5" speakers in the rear, took about 8 hours, although i wasnt working straight through, id do a couple hours here, couple there, and was learning as i went along, heres a brief description of how i did it

first... the mission:

I started by removing the top and bottom of the tailgate hatch so that I could remove the panels with storage compartments in them... turns out i didnt need to do that
    if i did it again id just remove the panel with the speaker grill in it (it looks like two panels, top and bottom, but they are actually screwed together)

removing the rear grab handle made getting behind the panel much easier, to remove it, i pinched the covers and pulled them towards the outside of the handle, along the panel, then used a small flat screwdriver, slid it under the tip of the cover and twisted the screwdriver, popping the front of the cover off, then slid the cover over the handle, then its just two screws

then start pulling the panel off starting at the joint of the two panels

i used a flathead screwdriver wrapped in electrical tape to pry the bottom of the panels apart, then right below the window they are clipped together with a metal fastner, gently pull it apart, then using a plastic knife i pulled the black fastner that holds the top of the panel just over the side rear window, then the panel just pulls out until you hit the front seat belt, which is a pain to remove and unnecessary imho

i started at the top, pulling the top of the panel at the joint of the two rear panels
    along the ceiling away from the window, its just two christmas tree fastners, i have an upholstry/door panel removing tool that came in handy, once it was free over the window i slid my hand around behind the panel and gently pried it off and worked my way down around the window, with that you can access the speaker, pull as few fastners as you need, the more you still have in place, the more will be lined up when you go to put it back together

if you just want to replace the speaker with one the same size, you might not need to remove the speaker mount, since i was modding it, i removed it, just four screws, i used a stubby phillips head screwdriver and reached behind the panel to get the two screws towards the front, but with a little contortion, a normal sized one would work, heres the speaker mount so you can see where the screws are, its upside down in the picture

then there are two 10mm bolts holding it to the rear most panel, i found using a nutdriver was the easiest way to remove those, once the 4 screws and 2 bolts are removed, the mount should pull out, be sure to disconnect the wires going to the speaker

once the rear speaker mount is out, look along the sheet metal of the vx for any fastners that are left in the sheet metal, remove them (i used the upholstry remover tool, but a flathead screwdriver should work too) and put them back onto the panel, they are easy to put back on, just slide them in place on the panel, look at one thats still in the panel for an example if you arent sure

i used a piece of cardboard to make a pattern for the hole needed to mount the new speakers then with a sharpie traced the pattern onto the rear speaker mount, then used an angle grinder to cut the hole, i used the bottom of the stock hole as the very bottom of the new one, so that the magnet of the speaker would be as high as possible, even so the magnet came very close to the wheel well, i used shallow mount door speakers that made it easier
    then drilled holes for the new speaker and mounted it

after a test fit in the car, i realized the tweeter stuck out of the speaker too far and was hitting the back of the speaker grill, so i used a pair of dykes to cut off the rear frame that stuck out off the grill, that gave me just enough clearance

once you know the speaker will fit, connect the wires, line it up and attach the four screws, line up the bolts and put them in, once thats all done, pull on the rearmost panel to make sure the bolts caught, it took me a couple times to get them in right

putting the rear panel on took a lot of patience, it was much easier when i didnt remove the seat belt, if you do remove the seat belt, make sure that the front of that panel goes around the door jamb, then starting in the front, gently push the panel back into place, i used the workshop CD from tone to figure out exactly where all of the clips were so id know where to push into place, once i got the middle of the panel in place, i did the top piece that extends over the side rear window, you have to push it upwards towards the ceiling and pulled away from the window to make sure the fastners make it to the bump out where they fasten

dont force the panel too much or you will break the clips, if the panel doesnt want to push back into place, look behind it and see where you are missing, then move the panel to fix the problem

once all the clips were back into place, i put a small strip of insulation tape between the panels where the adhesive was to prevent rattling, then pushed the velcro at the bottom of the panel back into place, put the grab handle back on, making sure to line up the tabs next to the screws with the proper holes then the fastner over the rear window

overall, i didnt think the project was extremely difficult, just took a lot of patience and making sure everything lined up correctly

if anyone has anythin to add, or questions to ask, feel free

Awesome Write-up! I have been wanting to do this for some time now but have been scared... this just gave me the balls! Thanks
    -Mike

I have got to do my rear speakers. Hopefully your post will make it easier.

nice write-up! what do you have planned for upgrading signal/power and for the front speakers?

i replaced the fronts with the same 6.5" speakers as i put in the rear, right now i have a kenwood cd/mp3 player in there, as soon as i make it to the store to get a wiring kit, ive got a rockford ravdvd1 to replace it, plays cd/mp3/dvd, it doesnt have regular speaker outputs though, just RCA outs, so im installing a 400w 4 channel amp under the drivers seat (already mounted) to power the speakers, im still debating on subs, ive got a pair of 8's to go in.. but dont really want to lose the space or lose my spare tire

Arrow audio updates!

got some pics of the progress on the audio system

front speakers 6.5"

4 channel 400 watt amp located under drivers seat powers all speakers in stock locations

wiring the DVD player.. wires EVERYWHERE.. got very tedious.. but its all back together now (except the cd changer slot.. monitor comes tomorrow)

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    etlsport, just make sure you have enough room under the seat for the front seat to move all the way forward, i had to remove insulation and bend up some of the parts of the seat for mine to fit like that....

If there is anything I have learned from working with the rear speakers in the VX, its that they are not fun. 90% of the work is removal and replacement of the interior panels. I seriously hope I NEVER have to deal with mine again, heh. I suggest Dynamatting the entire rear once you have the panels out just so that you can try to secure never having to tear it down again. Would be so much easier were the panels broken down even more into multiple pieces.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Talking try fitting 12"s in the same spot...and 6 1/2 boxes of Dynamatt Xtreme in the VX

and dual optimas in the engine bay to run auxillary powerand 400 watt amp & Warn XD9000 WINCH )
    Last edited by SPAZZ : 09/25/2006 at 02:16 PM Reason: adding

yeah.. those rear panels are a #$#%^ when i installed the amp i decided i needed to run all new speaker wires... and like a dummy i mounted the rear speakers with the terminals down... so the whole assembly had to come out to connect new wires... but it sounds awesome, love having dolby digital in the car!

pbkid.. thanks for the warning, i actually ran into the problem of the amp being too small, the RCA plugs stuck out too far, so they caught on the hump there while the amp sunk down into the little valley there, so i put a piece of mdf board to raise it up just over the hump, so now when the front seat is all the way forward, the rcas stick out just over the hump and just under the metal piece on the back of the seat.. it really looks like the amp was made to fit right there,

new challenge is getting my monitor in the CD changer slot, SHOULD be an easy task, but the monitor i bought doesnt have the right screw holes to attach the stock brackets to it.. on the plus side i did plug it all in and its puuuurdy

Arrow Update!

I'm happy to say the sound system is... ::::gasp::::: (almost) done! got the monitor installed in the upper portion of the dash.. didnt like the way it looked, the top of the dash prevented the monitor angle from being adjusted, so i set the monitor to reverse the image vertically, the mounted it in the slot upside down, only problem is the clock/writing on the face of the monitor, so i will be taking some black vinyl and covering the whole face of it, then getting one of those VehiCROSS stickers from ebay and putting it on the face of the monitor... should look sexy!

Last edited by etlsport : 10/08/2006 at 03:14 PM

That monitor would not work here...it covers the vital a/c vents!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

haha, yeah, i was a little worried about that.. but figured i wouldnt be watching too video as i drove anyway.. also that i could just leave it up at first til i got everything cooled down, then once the temp is okay rely on the side vents to keep the temp stable

You may need to remove the flap on the rear of the underside of the seat if you put an amp under there. Just drill off the spotwelds.

John C.

nah, the amp is small enough that it fits into that well under the seat, the metal flap doesnt make it quite to the amp, if the seat is all the way forward to the most extreme forward position, the RCAs stick out under the flap because i raised the amp up off the floor just enough that they fit over the floor and under the flap