Thread: Reading a carfax and buying off lot

Reading a carfax and buying off lot

New to this forum and the VX world...Want to thank those who have alread kindly responded to this newbie ...and thanks in advance to those who hopefully will.

Mentioned my search in other threads... had two possibilities... one turned out to be a "what was I thinking" moment and on other... a deposit was taken today from less inquisitive buyer.

so back to step 1... My reasoning was to look for lowest mileage VX in best condition at reasonable price. Probably would have gotten 34k VX if I was not so concerned about lack of service/ records plus wanting to arrange service prior to 800 mile drive home.

But anyway...... while researching and getting gracious and useful advice from members here....Started thinking about the vehicles without service records (seems most don't have, actually even thought of a mercedes before seduced by a VX, anyway, a mercedes "broker"...said he could pull up a service history if serviced at any benz dealership...does anybody know if that is true with isuzu?)

but back to my "logic"?........a low mileage VX may actually be more likely to have missed critical suggested maintanence...if past 1st owner

for example.. if 2 Vx's without service history, both cosmetically clean one with 34k and one with 75k. My logic ( possibly suspect?) tells me that since past 1st owner...low mileage
    VX was more likely... already off or near end of warranty when 30k service was due, The 34k VX was off or near end of 5 years warranty (reduced for non family member sale), when 30 k was due...I gather that it was extensive I am guessing 30 k may cost up $400-$500(?) at dealer. and if not worried about warranty ...a lot of folks may have a "if it ain't broke...don't fix it" attitude, especially with an extra bill to pay. The 75K Vx was still well within warranty if mileage was consistent and may have motivated owner to properly service

I may be overthinking this ? another thought...was above exercise in futility?...is 30k tied to time frame as in 30k or 2 years whichever comes FIRST? if so ..there goes my theory lol

It seems like I may have to......
    1) buy off lot (has anybody heard of ever getting service history with VX off lot?)
    2) be less picky
    3) be more patient. or a combo of them all

would like to think a 50-85k car still has a lot of life left, but as others have said and I believe, too... maintenance is key....

I guess my main question is what is MOST miles you would consider for VX purchase, from state that saw snow? looked in florida etc but pickings are slim.. This will not be my daily driver and will probably only go 2-3 k annually, I would like to think it would become a "lower mileage car" in time, if not already,given my driving habits. A bit queasy paying 10k plus for vehicle with 60-85K. Not "thrilled" with silver 99's but decent silver 99's may be found for less(?), but may end up with the most common among the uncommon.

My instincts over the years tell me never buy something the first year it comes out....but from what I read.,seems isuzu got it right , out of the box. .seems no significant changes after first year. or maybe changes were too expensive for such a limited market? Are there any differences beside wheel size, climate control and a child tether between years? read something abouta styling change concerning lights?.. Spoke to merlin about parts availability/ intechangeabilty and seems all body parts are interchangeable?

Thanks to any who listened........ all input on my ramble will be appreciated.

BTW Carfax (below) says this is one owner......most years/miles are "missing"....only things I can think it was exported and reimported , but seems there would be records of that...I guess it could have been used on estate somewhere, and never registered, but 70k miles in 5 years would be a heckuva estate, maybe driven 70k miles with transporter plates?..what am I missing? Have seen quite a few carfaxes...but never one with "hole" like this!

2001 Type of owner Personal Estimated length of ownership

2001 Type of owner Personal Estimated length of ownership
    6 months Owned in the following states/provinces Massachusetts Estimated miles driven per year --- Last reported odometer reading 75,811

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments: 01/09/2001 Massachusetts
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Bernardston, MA Registered as
    personal vehicle 01/19/2001 764 Massachusetts
    Inspection Station
    Bernardston, MA Passed safety or emissions inspection View what was inspected

02/02/2001 Massachusetts
    Motor Vehicle Dept.
    Bernardston, MA
    Title #AV455646 Title or registration issued
    First owner reported
    Loan or lien reported 02/06/2001 1,391 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
    Suspension system serviced
    Lubed oil and filter changed 07/23/2001 3,682 Dealer Inventory
    Manchester, NH Vehicle offered for sale 06/27/2006 75,811 Dealer Inventory
    Hooksett, NH Vehicle offered for sale 09/21/2006 Isuzu Motors America No recalls open for repair
    Last edited by NYVX : 09/21/2006 at 06:55 PM

I tried to get the history of my vehicle, and the Isuzu in Los Angeles, where I KNEW the previous owner got it serviced, would not give me the service history due to "privacy issues".

So you can try, but I doubt you will find out. Also, I dont think there is a central database; each dealership keeps their own records from what I can tell, so you'd have to search around.