Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wrecked the VX... could be totalled :(

Quote Originally Posted by dietz99vcross
    Sorry to hear about the accident. ...
    Hey, you must have that other Ebony in West Michigan I've heard about. Do you get up to Grand Rapids very often?

i wouldnt sweat it, if it was only about 6500 worth of damage. i had an accident a few years back in teh vx, total repair cost was close to 9000. but it could be different for u. gl on it tho.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I really appreciate the info you all are giving me. I'm learning quite a bit.

I've always loved this board and the VX community, but it's really hitting home how cool you all are, and helpful. You all are awesome!

Thanks again for everything. I'm sure I'll hear something tomorrow from the insurance adjusters, so I'll be sure to fill you all in when I do. After hearing about what you all have been through, and getting your helpful tips, I think I'm ready for anything...(I hope I didn't speak too soon...)

Dave

Glad you're ok.
    On the otherhand if your vx is written off, does this improve the value of the remaining cars?
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Sincere condolences for your loss...glad you're OK though.

I know if mine ever got totalled, I'd be shopping for another ASAP.

That's one withdrawl I'd rather not experience.

Update

Well everything seems to be working out. I just wanted to post again just in case anyone was interested, and just to add the experience to everyone's files.

The total cost to fix is estimated at $6,309. The insurance company (State Farm) told me the NADA value is $13,890. It seems like they were giving me a choice of either getting it fixed or giving me the NADA value. The woman was very nice and asked what I wanted to do. Before I could think about it I told her that I would like to have it fixed. She made sure that's what I wanted, and when I said yes, we made arrangements for the preferred shop to go ahead with everything.

I'm sure I want it fixed, but is it wierd for an insurance company to give you the choice? Plus, they keep asking me if I'm okay and if I have any injuries, which I don't really have. It's like they're trying to find any excuse to give me money.

Anyway, I'm driving around in the rented Ford Taurus right now, so I'm stylin'. Now we just have to see how long it will take the parts to get here from Japan. They are going with all new parts, so it may take some time...

Thanks again for all your support!
    Dave

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    The best news - what a relief, eh?

-beeej.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Quote Originally Posted by biju
    The best news - what a relief, eh?

-beeej.
    Totally Dude. I'm definitely relieved now...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

I had a very similar experience with State Farm a couple winters ago when I put the whammy on a tree during very icy conditions...unfortunately there was a dui involved, so I'm not with them any more.

The point being, they insisted on all new parts & stuck with me to the end, making sure the repair was done to my satisfaction.

There was hidden damage (tweaked rear output shaft) that wasn't evident until the body work was done & it was driveable.

With all the "over & above" estimate costs, they paid out over twelve grand.

You can bet ca$h money I'll be giving them my busuiness when that other thing goes away.

Thumbs up

Glad to hear it's working out!

State Farm is a great insurance company and I've had nothing but a stellar experience with them. When I had a new '01 ford F-250 SuperDuty it got t-boned by a driver shooting across 4 lanes of traffic. Apparently the driver didn't see the giant bright red crew-cab longbed 4X4 dead in her path, and my first indication anything was amiss was when my french-fries flew out of my hand. State Farm had me in a rental that afternoon and the truck in the body shop, all handled at the local Ford dealership where I got the truck. The whole thing worked out well and in a resonable amount of time and was never any inconvenience to me at all. Good folk!

Keep us posted, you can be sure we're all hoping for return of your VX to you in super-excellent condition.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thumbs up

I too had a similar experience about 3 years ago. I got rear-ended by a semi truck on the Dan Ryan expressway in my Xterra.

The trucker was 100% at fault and the trucking company's insurance was extra nice to me. They kept asking if we were ok, if we went to the hospital, etc etc. And they didn't bat an eye at covering any and all costs, including rental car, work on the Xterra (took over a month to fix and ended up costing about $6000). I guess they figured I could sue the pants off them if I wanted to so they did not question any of the things I wanted paid for.

So, insurance can be good in situations where you are not at fault. Anyway, glad you are getting it worked out.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    Glad to hear it's working out!

When I had a new '01 ford F-250 SuperDuty
    joe not driving an isuzu?!!? haha

ive had good experience with state farm too.. and ive filed many claims (people like to hit my cars...) i bought my VX with a state farm settlement after a greyhound ran my civic into a guardrail on the highway and forgot to stop, only took about a week to process too, didnt have any effect on my premiums because people who saw it stopped and told the officer(s) it was a hit and run

glad everythings workin out! now make sure to throw some parts for me in on that insurance bill

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    joe not driving an isuzu?!!? haha
    LOL, yeah, I went from a '95 Trooper Limited to the '01 F-250 then to a '93 Trooper RS. So I do "stray" from time to time!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

"Stated value" insurance is also worth getting.

I insure my vehicles with Farmers...and have a "Stated value" policy for both my VX and my 73 Bronco.

Farmers asked me for a couple of "valuations" from dealers...I got one from a friend who's a dealer , the other from a friend of his.... !!

I discovered this "plan" when I first insured my 73 Bronco...

Book value was about $500...actual value about $13,000 given the rebuild and modifications etc!

I questioned my Farmers agent about the disparity in actual value and he suggested the "Stated value" policy .

Its about $100 a year more....BUT OBVOUSLY well worth it if I get wrecked.

I have recently done the same for my VX given the Modifications ....never mind the ultra low mileage and increasing rarity !!

Some of you may want to check this out with your insurance companies...

....especially as parts get harder to find.

(Imagine trying to get ACTUAL roof rack value on normal insurance!!)

jo

6 or 7 grand on this car is a double bump... it couldn't be too horrible. Just because an insurance company makes an offer does not mean that's it. Many will initally low ball you to see if you will take it or scream. We've thrown more than one company out of the shop for running that crap on us.They squeeze both ends at all times. State Farm is one of the better ones for a bunch of reasons, and it sounds like your situation is working out o.k. One thing... that shop is a ''preferred'' shop primarily because THEY prefer it. The shop agrees to redo anything they do wrong, welds and repair procedures meet their "minimum" standards, and most inportant of all... work is done according to their payscale. Many o.k. repairs are "spoiled" by things like crappy seamsealer work,wavy mudwork, and so-so paint. As long as it turns on,doesn't fall off, or peel... you pretty much get what you get. If at all feasible, PICK YOUR SHOP! You have that right. I don't mean to slam preferred shops, we're the preferred shop for virtually everyone here, I'm just saying the system is set up in a way that guarantees an "average" repair for most folks. But then , I am a body and paint snob with O.C.D. Love, Wayne