Thread: Wrecked the VX... could be totalled :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I had the front bumper, lights, and grill damaged recently due to the gross neglegence of a parking lot. Both required replacement.

I made them rent me a loaner truck while mine was in the shop waiting for parts. The front bumper cover took over 3 months to get from Japan, and the truck rental was $70/day on their tab.

John C.

Sorry to hear about the accident. We just finished getting raked over the coals by our insurance company when my son totaled his 2002 Elantra GT. They offered a low ball price based off recent sales in the area (turns out they original offer was based off 1 vehicle in the state that was deemed comparable). I gave them info from autotrader, NADA, Kelley Blue Book, and Ebay and was told those were not accurate representations of selling prices ????? Had them recalculate using a larger area than just Michigan and they came back with an offer that was $700 less. At this point the only offer I was left was to pay $200-300 to get an independent apprasial and have that apprasier meet with the insurance companies independent appraiser and have them settle on a price (I would not be involved in this negotiation). Decided that the original offer was the safe way, as I could have got a lower $ amount and had to cover the cost of the appraisal. Hopefully you can have better luck with insurance, but don't be rushed. It took me almost 2 months of bickering. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by dietz99vcross
    Sorry to hear about the accident. ...
    Hey, you must have that other Ebony in West Michigan I've heard about. Do you get up to Grand Rapids very often?

i wouldnt sweat it, if it was only about 6500 worth of damage. i had an accident a few years back in teh vx, total repair cost was close to 9000. but it could be different for u. gl on it tho.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I really appreciate the info you all are giving me. I'm learning quite a bit.

I've always loved this board and the VX community, but it's really hitting home how cool you all are, and helpful. You all are awesome!

Thanks again for everything. I'm sure I'll hear something tomorrow from the insurance adjusters, so I'll be sure to fill you all in when I do. After hearing about what you all have been through, and getting your helpful tips, I think I'm ready for anything...(I hope I didn't speak too soon...)

Dave

Glad you're ok.
    On the otherhand if your vx is written off, does this improve the value of the remaining cars?
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Sincere condolences for your loss...glad you're OK though.

I know if mine ever got totalled, I'd be shopping for another ASAP.

That's one withdrawl I'd rather not experience.

Update

Well everything seems to be working out. I just wanted to post again just in case anyone was interested, and just to add the experience to everyone's files.

The total cost to fix is estimated at $6,309. The insurance company (State Farm) told me the NADA value is $13,890. It seems like they were giving me a choice of either getting it fixed or giving me the NADA value. The woman was very nice and asked what I wanted to do. Before I could think about it I told her that I would like to have it fixed. She made sure that's what I wanted, and when I said yes, we made arrangements for the preferred shop to go ahead with everything.

I'm sure I want it fixed, but is it wierd for an insurance company to give you the choice? Plus, they keep asking me if I'm okay and if I have any injuries, which I don't really have. It's like they're trying to find any excuse to give me money.

Anyway, I'm driving around in the rented Ford Taurus right now, so I'm stylin'. Now we just have to see how long it will take the parts to get here from Japan. They are going with all new parts, so it may take some time...

Thanks again for all your support!
    Dave

wrecked vx

sorry to hear what happen to your vx. keep in touch . hope you get it fixed. but if not . i think all of us can use few parts. call me 323 654 3628 just in case anybody out there has an original air cleaner intake assembly . i bought mine with the high performance cone. i just want to have original assembly . let me know if anyone wants to sell theirs. thanks.

late poster to this one but glad things seem to have worked out well for you, I'm in your area (Mauldin) so it would be sad to lose a VX around here, of course it's sad to lose one anytime but it's a little worse in our little corner of the world

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    So were they able to actually FIND you new parts out of Japan? I am in a similar situation, truck has been in body shop for a month and they could not find a new door anywhere and said to search warehouses in Japan was unlikey to turn up anything and time consuming.....they ended up finding me a salvage door. Very minor damage to me so they are giving me all the parts off the salavage door since they are moving my window and regulator etc into replacement door. So I get the glass and regulator and trim piece off of salvage door. My damage was $5K and rental of a pathfinder ( they had to put me into an SUV) is $2K and mine should be ready end of next week if the painting goes well.......

Update us please on your vehicle
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.