Thread: Wrecked the VX... could be totalled :(

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Wrecked the VX... could be totalled :(

Driving back from a wedding in the rain I was rear ended and pushed into the car in front of me. The poor VX is crushed in front and beat up from behind. The other guy was at fault, so his insurance is taking care of everything, but my car could be finished. The garage that has the car (very professional and nice people) told me that the only other Vehicross they've ever seen came in two weeks ago with similar damage (to the front only), however, they got the only front end they could find for that one, and they searched the entire US.

Does anyone know where you can get front (and rear) ends for our cars? Right now, the exterior work is estimated to cost $6,000. That doesn't include anything inside the engine bay (radiator etc.) that was damaged. The indurance people are going out today to take a look and decide if they're going to fix it at all.

The worst part of all this is that I just received my front and rear skid plates from Ron yesterday... although I guess it's better this way. If they were already on the car, they'd be done too.

Any ideas about how to get a front and/or rear is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Dave,

Sorry to hear that...the most important thing is that you are OK.

I don't have an answer for your question, but if the VX is totalled and you are not planning to get another VX, I'm interested in getting the roof rack (if you have it) and ron's skid plates (are they painted?).

Regards,
    Daniel

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

Nononononooooo!

This is terrible news - sorry this happened. If it does get totaled - you'll have to jump right back into the fam w/ another VX purchase!

Keep us posted on the process (fixing or totaling out).

best wishes...

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Wow, sorry to hear that. At least it sounds like you escaped injury, which is the important part.

As for the VX, as I understand it the general rule for insurance companies is if repairs get near 75% of value they look at totalling the vehicle. What I'm also discovering is that most auto-body places ramp up the estimate to not have to deal with a unique vehicle. Since the VX is body-on-frame it's pretty easy to do body work on, far easier than most shops let on. (Hopefully Chopper will chime in here with his expertise!)

Good luck and hope it works out so you can restore your VX to original condition!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

That SUX!

Glad to hear you are ok tho.

This kind of situation makes me wonder. If the VX is "totalled" would the insurance company fund for a replacement VX or what? How does that work? I mean, I guess it depends on your insurance, but in this type of situation, I would imagine the ideal thing would be to replace your VX with another and keep the damaged one for spare parts, but that would be having your cake and eating it too....but if the insurance company gives you money toward a replacement, couldn't you keep the damaged one also?

Hopefully you will get it worked out.

Bart

If your car is considered a total loss, insurance company will pay "market value". For a low volume vehicle like the VX they will probably rely on NADA/KBB value. You may want to start collecting classified ads for VX's for same year/mileage in case they try to low-ball you on the offer, (especially as it is the other guy's insurance), so you have proof of what VX's are selling for.

If you want to keep the salvage, the insurance company will just deduct the amount they would get from salvage company from what they are paying you for the total, however it would depend on the laws of your state. I think some states do not allow you to retain ownership if the vehicle is declared a total loss....
    Last edited by Zorak : 10/10/2006 at 08:37 AM

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Unhappy

Dave,

So sorry to hear this news. I hope you'll be able to put her back together.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Ookay.

Well, if I were in a accident with my VX... I would rather be INJURED badly, yet can heal fully... THAN to have my VX totalled and taken away.

See, to me its not okay in any way shape or form, your ok physically, but your VX had been totalled/wrecked... that will make EVERYTHING NOT OKAY.
    In a way, your heart has just been shattered in oblivion, nothing is okay, nothing is fine, nothing is what it seems when it comes to your VX incident. Its a bond we all have in us as VX owners.

Get what I mean? hehe
    Last edited by O Hell No O : 12/31/2008 at 11:12 AM

Vx

In the last months of this year there were many VX's totalled/wrecked,most of them was totalled by insurance,there's ashley who had only body damage that's obvious were repairable,but what really play agains us is the facts that our VX's value is way to low compared to another vehicules out there.

Another fact that goes agains us about isuzu leabing the US market,that guys really hurts our VX value plus the lack of available body parts.
    Dakar was just the begining.

[Soapbox on]
    All this talk of totalling cars because of low resale value reminds me of the early 70's. Big-block muscle cars were a dime-a-dozen, and were being totalled right and left. A few of the rusting hulks survived in junk yards and are now being resurrected and sold for a small mint.

I wish I could have saved mine:

The heart and sould lives on in my current Cobra, but how many others could have been saved. Let's part-out only the truly unrepairable VX's and put the rest back on the road!
    [/Soapbox off]
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379