Thread: would this work...

would this work...

adding another amp to my system has yet again caused signal problems with alternator whine, i grounded it with my existing stuff, so i dont think its a ground loop problem, my guess is having more power running through the existing wires, so im wondering if instead of completely changing the routing of all my wiring, if id be able to insulate my power wire(s) somehow, i was thinking wrapping everything within 6-12 inches of an intersection with aluminum tape (think tin foil with an adhesive backing) then wrapping that in some good quality e-tape...

anyone know if it would work, or something like this that could work?

i reeeeaallly dont feel like taking the vx apart again to change routing of the power wire

Radio shack always has the answers I'm using one of these in my truck and it fixed what sounds to be the same problem. I have two amps hooked up in my system and the ground loop problem was pretty bad. You'll also find these being less than about half of what you would pay at any stereo place. Check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    adding another amp to my system has yet again caused signal problems with alternator whine, i grounded it with my existing stuff, so i dont think its a ground loop problem, my guess is having more power running through the existing wires, so im wondering if instead of completely changing the routing of all my wiring, if id be able to insulate my power wire(s) somehow, i was thinking wrapping everything within 6-12 inches of an intersection with aluminum tape (think tin foil with an adhesive backing) then wrapping that in some good quality e-tape...

anyone know if it would work, or something like this that could work?

i reeeeaallly dont feel like taking the vx apart again to change routing of the power wire
    the tin foil on wire doesnt work, trust me i tried lol....

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Rizzo
    Radio shack always has the answers I'm using one of these in my truck and it fixed what sounds to be the same problem. I have two amps hooked up in my system and the ground loop problem was pretty bad. You'll also find these being less than about half of what you would pay at any stereo place. Check them out!
    id thought about these too.. but in the intrest of saving money im trying to hold off on them... ive got a total of 8 rca connections in my vx (one per channel, 2 for center channel and 2 for subs), so adding those to each would get pricey, although if i cant figure this out that may be my last option

mz... did you try what i was thinking of and did it not help at all?
    Last edited by etlsport : 11/06/2006 at 07:21 PM

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    etlsport,

engine whine was a problem for me as well... the only real way i found a solution was through a lot of trial and error troubleshooting. in my case it ended up being a bad head unit ground (although, there was still a *slight* hint of noise even after that...)

before buying bandaids like the isolator, make take some time to review all the connections power, ground, etc., (also making sure your RCA's are connected properly - my monster cables are 'directional').

not sure how your wiring is laid out, but also make sure the power wires do not run along side the rca's, etc.

best of luck.

-beeej.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

What you need is a good capacitor!
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thedutchguy
    What you need is a good capacitor!

(in my best Christopher Lloyd voice)

A FLUX CAPACITOR !!!

No, seriously, well actually it consists of 2 caps with a homemade coil.
    like in the pic added.

The coil is made from .8 mm. wiring. You can wind the coil around 40 cm of PVC tube used in home electrics.

Good luck this will filter everything guaranteed!

well as it turns out im not too bright... i went to remove the seat, as soon as i took the bolt i grounded to out, both grounds just slid right out.. as it turns out the seat bracket was resting on the insulation part of the wire and not the ring terminals.. a small washer and some twisting of wires fixed it up quick fast and in a hurry! no more eeeeEEEEEEEEeeeEEEEEEEEE sound

sorry kinda late and useless reply but yes i tried to sheild about 6feet of rcas with foil....didnt help...