Thread: A/T or M/T???

A/T or M/T???

OK, I am on the virge of buying some BFG Off Road tires. I am torn between the Mud Terrains and the All Terrains. Has anyone any experience with both of these tires? Pros/Cons? Which would be better in snow? (And I mean SNOW, like over I-80 from Reno to California Lake Tahoe complete white out close the highway kinda snow).

Thanks - Bart

Well snow tires and mud tires are completely different. The BFG A/T tires are a good choice for snow but if you want the best of both worlds get some TrXus M/T's they won't be as great in the snow, but will work fine and they have a good offroad tread/sidewall/side-lugs. I have been running the TrXus M/T's for a year and a half and am amazed at how well they do in wear/offroading/winter driving, I don't believe there is a better (offroader minded) all around tire, and they are reasonably priced. Hell they even look real good, I love'm.

I dislike the BFG M/T's they are a OK mud tire and would be horrible in the winter IMO.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

Looked up that tire and it is AWESOME...

I have to disagree. I love my MTs in the snow.

We were driving back from CT in a pretty nasty storm, even the highways had 2 to 3 inches of snow on them. Well, I wasn't about to go 20 mph like everyone else, I grew up in upstate NY and can handle the white stuff. Besides, I'm drivin' a VX! fer cryin' out loud!

I got in the "fast lane", and probably got up to around 45 or 50, visibility wasn't bad so I wasn't that worried about it. Then the outer edge of my driver side front tire caught the 10+ inches of unplowed stuff on the shoulder and the steering started pulling me off the road. I took my foot off the gas and held tight to the wheel, slowly muscle-ing back into my lane. She came though it like a champ, never slid, hydroplaned, lost control, nuthin'.

I was told that the larger the void in the tire, the better it will respond in mud or snow, because it is less likely to get caked up. I think the newer BFG MTs even have a little ridge running down the middle of the void to help clean itself out every rotation.

I have yet to take a VX pic with anything caked in the voids, and I've taken a few...

Like I said, I love 'em!

Brian
    '01 Proton 1416

Sweet, I am totally leaning toward the M/Ts, for looks and grip, I will probably be doing about the same amount of rough rock trail riding as I do snow riding, so I think the M/Ts will be good. I basically just wanted to here from some of you out there if the M/Ts sucked in snow. I have heard from some ppl that the A/Ts run better in packed, deep powder, which I will likely encounter this winter through the mountains.

The TrXus tires are ok, but the sidewall design is not my thing. I like the classic look of the BFGs personally. Hopefully I can get some of these fitted soon and post pics.

Thanks for the input.

Bart