Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: optima battery

optima battery

yet another question!

all the talk of batteries and alternators got me thinking it might be worth upgrading my battery soon since the battery in there now appears that it came stock. so naturally i started looking at optima batteries, a red top would probably do fine as the stock battery is holding up OK, i can run my stereo for about an hour with the vx off before it wont start on its own

but a blue top would be awesome for its power and cosmetics (my engine bay is dressed in blue) but thats not important enough to warrant spending the extra money if the battery isnt worth it, ive read that its a little too big for the VX and requires some modding to make it fit? also i saw that driver3 has had trouble with his vx starting w/ a blue top after only a few months??

I use the Red Top Optima battery as you can see in the picture below:

(Click image to enlarge)

A yellow top would only be needed in the event you are running a winch, lots of driving lights a huge stereo system or all of the above.

The blue top is used mostly for marine/water craft. The design is such that you can leave the blue top stored for a year or more (seasonal), get in and start it right up were most other batteries would need to be charged.

If I'm not mistaken all optima batteries can be mounted right side up or side ways if you are concerned about space.

Looks like you probably just need the red top but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Do some research here for starters:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...nfig/home.html

Best of luck
    Live Free or DIE!

http://www.invertersrus.com/optimad31m.html

The blue top is the same as the yellow top.. but the blue has nice accessory posts with wing nuts, and the posts for your engine wiring cables..

I have over 113k on my alternator.. that's why I was asking in the post about alternators and having an issue starting.. I also had an issue starting with my old battery... which was not an optima

Red Top...

...I would say, just get a red top, and spray it blue

Bart

haha bart... id thought about that.. wasnt sure if paint would mess anything up (ie metal chips in the paint or something)

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    haha bart... id thought about that.. wasnt sure if paint would mess anything up (ie metal chips in the paint or something)
    Yeah, I suppose that could be a concern...but if you did a good clean job and masked off properly, the top of the battery really doesn't touch anything important, I guess you would just have to worry about deterioration over time...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by driver3
    The blue top is the same as the yellow top..
    The Optima Blue Top means it's a marine battery. They are not all the same. There are several models that are deep cycle (like the yellow top), but also a starting battery (like the red top). I have been running the blue top starting battery (model 34M) in my VX for a few years now. (http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/...op_battery.asp )

When I originally did my research, I concluded that the blue top starting battery was nearly identical to the red top starting battery. In practice, it has behaved exactly as any other starting battery.

I did have to have it replaced once, under warranty. After sitting for about a month, it was completely dead and would not take a charge. The store I bought it from exchanged it for a new one and I haven't had any problems in nearly a year and a half. I've heard some reports of "quality control problems" with Optima, but from my experience, they are great batteries. For the past several months, my VX has mostly sat, only being driven once a week. I do have a solar trickle charger on it now, because my aftermarket alarm system draws a little bit of power, and over time i think that contributes to battery drain. But now it starts up strong every single time.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    The Optima Blue Top means it's a marine battery. They are not all the same. There are several models that are deep cycle (like the yellow top), but also a starting battery (like the red top). I have been running the blue top starting battery (model 34M) in my VX for a few years now. (http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/...op_battery.asp )

When I originally did my research, I concluded that the blue top starting battery was nearly identical to the red top starting battery. In practice, it has behaved exactly as any other starting battery.

I did have to have it replaced once, under warranty. After sitting for about a month, it was completely dead and would not take a charge. The store I bought it from exchanged it for a new one and I haven't had any problems in nearly a year and a half. I've heard some reports of "quality control problems" with Optima, but from my experience, they are great batteries. For the past several months, my VX has mostly sat, only being driven once a week. I do have a solar trickle charger on it now, because my aftermarket alarm system draws a little bit of power, and over time i think that contributes to battery drain. But now it starts up strong every single time.
    this is the link I meant
    http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/faq18.asp
    The blue and yellow top are the same, except blue has extra terminals

From the link
    "The D31-series batteries are the largest made by Optima. The only differences are in the type of electrical connections and the color. There is no difference in the internal construction or performance of these three batteries; they are electrically identical. "

Quote Originally Posted by driver3
    this is the link I meant
    http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/faq18.asp
    The blue and yellow top are the same, except blue has extra terminals

From the link
    "The D31-series batteries are the largest made by Optima. The only differences are in the type of electrical connections and the color. There is no difference in the internal construction or performance of these three batteries; they are electrically identical. "
    Except for the difference in the CCA's. The D31 is 900 CCA's. shawn
    1COOLVX

I got 2 optimas with yellow top. (One for VX, and other one for sound system). Wellow ones are great. I think they are made for off road!

what exactly is a starting battery? i was reading a description of a blue top starting battery and it said it was for starting only.. does this mean it wouldnt be able to keep up with my electronics? (2 amps for a total of 600watts RMS, 4 LED bars, 7" monitor and upgraded head unit + 300 watt power inverter on occasion.. always drive with headlights on) or will i need to get a yellow top to be able to handle the the load?

I have had red tops in a few vehicles and now have two yellow tops in my diesel. I have noticed if the red tops sit for a time they go dead (like most batteries would) but something happens to them and they can't hold a charge anymore - I have replaced 3 Optima batteries under warranty because of this. They always try to charge it to see if it will hold a charge then replace it free when it doesn't. The yellow tops on the other hand have sat (not my fault - I learned), gone dead, and been recharged and have held a charge for quite some time. I have had no experience with blue tops.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

the vx is my daily driver, the longest it goes without being driven is 2 days so i dont have to worry about it sitting for too long, even when i go on trips i leave it with my buddy who starts it up for me every couple of days since the VX is my 2nd car with under 140k miles (and the first i only had for a week before a bus decided i didnt want it anymore)

The "deep cycle" batteries are designed to permit frequent charging/discharging cycles like what would happen if you had a high end audio and/or video system and you wanted to be able to operate it without the vehicle running for long periods of time. You will frequently see these used in show cars.

A "starting" battery is NOT designed to handle regular cycles, but rather to hold enough charge to start the car. Once the car is started, the alternator provides the power for the a/v system and accessories so the battery charges itself back up and then doesn't really do anything until you go to start the car up again.

What type would be better depends on how often you start your VX and how long you want to play your a/v with the vehicle not running.

Etlsport - What you probably have in your VX right now is a starting battery. If you can start the vehicle, and run all of your accessories with the headlights on and you don't see any dimming of the headlights, you're fine. If you DO have signficant dimming, it's your alternator you need to look at possibly upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    The "deep cycle" batteries are designed to permit frequent charging/discharging cycles like what would happen if you had a high end audio and/or video system and you wanted to be able to operate it without the vehicle running for long periods of time. You will frequently see these used in show cars.

A "starting" battery is NOT designed to handle regular cycles, but rather to hold enough charge to start the car. Once the car is started, the alternator provides the power for the a/v system and accessories so the battery charges itself back up and then doesn't really do anything until you go to start the car up again.

What type would be better depends on how often you start your VX and how long you want to play your a/v with the vehicle not running.

Etlsport - What you probably have in your VX right now is a starting battery. If you can start the vehicle, and run all of your accessories with the headlights on and you don't see any dimming of the headlights, you're fine. If you DO have signficant dimming, it's your alternator you need to look at possibly upgrading.
    awesome rundown.. that was exactly what i was trying to figure out, looks like ill be putting on a sound/light show tonight to check for dimming then off to costco to get me a red top