Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Dash gages

Dash gages

I've seen threads for CF dash kits, etc... but that's not what I want.

I hate, absolutely hate the gauges on my VX. They look vintage 80's crap. I like most everything about the VX, except this one glaring flaw.

Sadly, though, I've never seen anywhere that has gauge inserts or a replacement dash. I would love a yellow dash, or even a white/orange. Something more modern, and not a crappy font.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Lightbulb

Fabbing a new instrument insert is pretty straight forward. Just remove the existing unit and make a few good patterns from it, then transfer that to whatever material you want to use: Stainless, carbon, colored plastic, aramid, copper, glass, turned aluminum, whatever floats your boat. The translucent stuff you can mask from behind with an opaque material to control lighting. The opaque materials you either have to cut out stuff like the numbers and idiot lights or illuminate from the front.

One thing that's really cool is to scan your existing insert, adjust it to your liking then print it to good transparency material. Then transfer that to an electorluminescent material (similar to indiglo) that's been cut to shape. Then you have an indiglo dash!

This is all pretty inexspensive material wise but attention to detail and patience really pays off.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Go here: http://speedhut.com/

Check the links on the right side of the page for ideas.

You can make what ever you want for your VX as long as you get them the layout needed for the VX. You can have indiglo, reverse indiglo and what ever design you want on the guages made out of what ever you want like CF, aluminum etc.

Who's up for this ? We can get a group buy going once they are produced!!!!

Let's do this folks
    Live Free or DIE!

I would be interested!

Don't forget to look around that site as you can get gauge bezels to go around the gauges too, they even have some for select model isuzu's too

Thatd' be great if we could get speedhut to do it. However, they have (as expected) nothing for the Vehicross.

Fabbing a new instrument insert is pretty straight forward. Just remove the existing unit and make a few good patterns from it, then transfer that to whatever material you want to use: Stainless, carbon, colored plastic, aramid, copper, glass, turned aluminum, whatever floats your boat. The translucent stuff you can mask from behind with an opaque material to control lighting. The opaque materials you either have to cut out stuff like the numbers and idiot lights or illuminate from the front.

One thing that's really cool is to scan your existing insert, adjust it to your liking then print it to good transparency material. Then transfer that to an electorluminescent material (similar to indiglo) that's been cut to shape. Then you have an indiglo dash!
    You make it sound easy, but I have no idea how to do any of that. How would I transfer it to that sort of material? Especially Indiglo stuff, doesn't that require a power source? Where would I buy something like that and how would I transfer the fonts and stuff onto it.

Printing out something new is an option, but where/what type of material can I put in a printer and print on that would be suitable?

Originally posted by Inaba
    Thatd' be great if we could get speedhut to do it. However, they have (as expected) nothing for the Vehicross.
    This is true, HOWEVER apparently you missed this message on thier site

If you can dream it - we can build it! Throw out the rule book- It's all possible NOW! Dials will never be the same!

Standard EL-Glo, Reverse EL-Glo, or a Combination of both.

ANYTHING you can dream up, we can produce (from our current car list). If your car is not on the current product list "scream at us". The following dials are a sampling we have done for some of our customers. If you're interested in a TOTALLY custom dial, give us a call and we will work out a price quote for you. #801-796-1460 or email us for additional info.
    So who's interested? I am not the one you guys want to head up this endevor though, just warning you ahead of time

Just trying to get you guys and gals some info on the options that are out there.

I would totally be interested in new gauges as well!

Who's in SLC, Utah? Run down there and let them make a pattern from your gauge panel, and then we all should be able to have them make whatever we want

Todd Adams - that means you!

I'll be the group leader for some custom dash kits. Need 20 pre-orders before they will start a fab. I don't think that's the hard part.

However, the hard part is --- get this:

They need a dash cluster and it WON'T be returned. IE - they keep it. Ugg. So, does anyone know where to get a dash cluster that isn't in use any more? I sure as heck don't.

Isn't it the same dash as a '93 rodeo or some such? Maybe they already have one of those done, if not there have got to be lots in the junkyards.

I'd be in. By the way I think it's like 93-97 Rodeo.

Would we all have the freedom to choose what finish and stuff we want?

Talking Im Down...

....I think how much of a finacial investment we looking at? Whatever im in

Thumbs up

Sharp stuff, definitely beats home-made if the price is right.