Thread: Painting Wiper Arms

Question Painting Wiper Arms

Has anyone painted the windshield wiper arms? What did you use and how did you do it. I cannot stand how bad they look! ARGH!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I painted mine, lightly sanded first and used a charcoal gray hammered krylon, looks so much better and matches the cladding kinda.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Arrow

I've soda-blasted one set, and the other just scuffed real good using 3M Scotchbrite pads then final-cleaned with 99% alcohol. Both times used Rustoleum satin black with excellent results.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

i sanded mine with 320 grit sandpaper the spraypainted them with krylon rust tough enamel.. looks grand

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er
    I used both Rustoleum primer and then flat black Rustoleum paint and got very nice results..figure I spent about $4 per can and my time (bought paint&primer at Lowe's.) I just couldn't bear to show up for the VX-Plore Vermont Meet with weathered wipers!!!! LOL.

I wet-sanded them before spraying primer and after suitable drying time sprayed a couple coats of flat-black.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    I did mine this past spring...

I picked up some rust converting black from PepBoys
    (Cant remember the brand - Rustoleum, Krylon, cant remember, I will have to update the post later on when I find it)

Only one arm was REALLY bad with flaking paint chips and light rust spots, the other one had only faded. But I wanted to make them look uniform - so I treated them equally.

First I used a wire brush to get any loose bits off, wiped them down and let them dry about a half hour.

Then I took the rattle can to them for 3 or 4 coats (at the minimum wait time recommended on the can)

Next morning I put them back on. Looked like brand new... they still look great.

Tip - before unbolting the arms - I took a blue sharpie to the bolt head and a spot inside the arm. I made a small line to realign them later.

Oh, Don't forget to spray the little bolt cover cap too, so everything matches.
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Steps I took:

1- Wetsanded with 600
    2- Wipe clean with evaporating degreaser
    3- Polyuerethane primer
    4- Scotchbrite scuffed
    5- Wipe clean with evaporating degreaser
    6- Sprayed flat black Rustoleum
    7- Sprayed semi gloss Rustoleum Clear

Clear has worked great because it allows me to wax the arms for extra protection throught the year.

Shadetree mechanics do it better!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Arrow Did mine 3 years ago...

Simply washed of any excessive dirt. Then when they were dry used Rust-O-leum satin black. They still look good today. Mine were never rusty, so if yours are, remove the rust before you paint for a better finish.
    NAVIGATOR