Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: replace stereo??

Red face replace stereo??

can anyone tell me how I can replace my stereo with one that I bought aftermarket?? Do I need any special tools and how do pull out the old one?

thanks

Talking

I have some pretty good instructions that i could scan, i will probably have it ready by mid day (PST). I tried getting it finished just now, but my scanner crapped out on me. these instructions are very complete step by step on how to install new stereo.
    Last edited by Knigh7s : 11/19/2006 at 03:50 AM
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

It is pretty simple. Be sure to get an adapter plug so you do not have to cut any wires. And you can use the brackets from the stock stereo to mount the new one. shawn
    1COOLVX

you rule

I would really appreciate getting those instructions... Knigh7s,that is very good of you... I will be leaving in about an hour, but will check back in the afternoon. THANKS ALLOT!!! THIS SITE IS GREAT!!!

Thanks Shawn...

THANKS SHAWN... I need the encouragement.

Talking

I have the scans completed now, im converting them to PDF, and now have to try compressing them some more, the current file size is 22mb! ouch. i'll try cutting it down even more without loosing picture quality.

Red face

thats allot of trouble for you, Knigh7s.... really really thanks!!!

Exclamation

oh, by the way, the cd changer died... what are some ideas that maybe some of you have done with that space?

many people have taken the cubby hole from other vehicles and fit it onto the CD changer brackets so they have a cubby space, i put a head unit with DVD capability in the CD changer slot then put a flip out monitor where the stock cassette player was, but i dont have the auto shifter anymore, i swapped it out for a much much smaller one, so keep in mind that your stock shift knob might get in the way of putting CDs in

other people have put gauges in that area, i was going to put in a switch panel or a DIN sized speaker like the one biju recently sold before i decided (more like couldnt resist) on my DVD setup

Talking

ya, i ripped mine open after it wouldnt give me back my cd's and just installed my after market down there. also, i was the one that bought biju center channel din speaker. which will be installed where the cassete player was.

install instructions almost done. bare with me, i also have a one year old running around the place that keeps pulling me from the computer =P

When I replaced mine a few weeks ago, I removed the mount that surrounded the old unit, held in place with 4 screws and slipped it over the new unit. They seem to come with standard mounting hole to make it easy for everyone. Then it just slipped in just like it was made for it. I in fact mounted mine where the cd changer went and installed the scan gauge in the upper hole. Circuit City could not supply a connector so I had to cut and splice, but that was really not a problem. Just used the wiring schematic to match up the wires. Think I only used I think 10 of the 13 wires which at first made me wonder but it worked out just fine.

Talking

Here they are:
    Install Instructions

i did the same thing rowhard was talking about, using the four screws that hold the stock units in place to attach my new unit, my screen i had to do some modding of it since i mounted it upside down... and again like rowhard i had to extend wires, so i ended up only extending the power, illumination, and switched power to the new unit, i made my own ground, and use RCA out of the head unit to an amp to power all the speakers

Thumbs up

THANKS KNIGHS7S! This should do it... I will attempt the job at the end of the week and let you all know how it turned out.

Once again thanks everyone for your input... got me thinkin!

disasterlady

Just dont forget the wireharness, so u dont have to be spicing the factory one.