Thread: Post of all Rims and Tires out there!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Hey Gene, sorry didn't see this... my bad.

Jays wheels I don't believe could be -12mm, Even if that's all they are [currently] offered at. I think Ryan (little beast) can help me out a bit, but here's how it goes. (My understanding, please anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

Stock wheels +18mm offset, anything less than that pushes the outward from the vehicle. If my wheels are at +10mm offset, and stick out quite a bit, then anything that sticks out less than mine would have to be between 10mm and 18mm Positive offset. Which is why I believe some of the early posted wheels are incorrect.

I think that Tom4Bren is at a 0 to +5mm offset, I'm at a +10mm and Beast is at +15mm, so based on images of our setups you could get a pretty close guess as to what people's Offset are.

Of course this makes the assumption that we all have wheels between the widths of 7" - 8.5", my wheels are 8.5" wide.

========= A little advice ============
    To those of you who posted images of your vehicle, and Rickshaw has already added you to his posts, I recommend deleting your original post (or editing it) so the images aren't posted twice.

This thread is really taking off!! Good Job Rickshaw!!

I have to respectfully disagree with some of what is said. I KNOW that my wheels are +12mm because when I ordered them I was shooting for +10mm since Daver had what I liked in stance. I'm also a stickler for re-checking part #'s on things I order to be sure I received what I asked for. The American Racing wheels I received were the same part# I ordered so in theory if I ordered 12mm offset I should have received 12mm offset.

Also, Baxman had (0) degrees offset and that put his wheels even further out as far as wheelwell is concerned compared to Daver's. More trimming of cladding there!

The stock wheels were +38mm offset IIRC. So looking at all of this as a number-line and that backspacing specs are constant....going from +38mm (tires tucked up under wheel-wells on O.E.M. wheel) to +12mm,+10mm (outer edge of tire lines up with edge of wheel-well lip) to zero offset (outer edge of tire begins to exceed past edge of wheel-well lip) to negative offset going from low to high (say -5mm out to -15mm) results in ever-wider stance with wheels pushed out past fender wheel-well lip.

I look at Jay Dunford's VX and see no problem visualizing -12mm of offset. His tires are out past the fender wheel-well lip whereas mine at +12 mm pretty much line up with edge of fender wheel-well lip. (critical in PA as fines result if tires stick out past fender wheel-well lip.)

Now where I'm not too sure....is how changes in backspacing figures into the mix. I suspect that is what is confusing us somewhat here in that backspacing may be changing on the various wheel styles???? IIRC my wheels are 4.5" backspacing.

Also, mm's are pretty small increments of measurement. When I was trying to pick out wheels that appealed to me AND were @ 10mm offset like Daver's VX; I really wanted the American Racing "Nitro" wheel. But, the closest offset it came in was zero! So, I picked the "Breaker" wheel as it was quite similar to the "Nitro" (kind of like a cousin..lol) and it was offered at 12mm offset. Only a difference of 2mm....and that was to the good in my book in that it was 2mm closer to stock....less likely for the tire to stick out past the fender wheel-well & get fined!

If I'm wrong here guys...I'm truly sorry...as this is how I perceive it and I'm not trying to mislead anyone.

P.S.--thanks Rickshaw for posting my newest pic + info and putting together an awesome thread!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 01/06/2009 at 03:09 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?